New DAC suggestions

glynnw · 3311

Offline glynnw

on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:26 AM
I figure this is safe to ask here since the product is a legacy.  I love my Bottlehead DAC and BottleBat but I have reached the point where everything but it has been upgraded.  While I am not really ready to change, it is time to start thinking about it.  Has anyone found a DAC they like better than their Bottlehead (at a reasonable price - no $100K stacks of gear) ?  DSD is not an issue - I still listen to almost 44.1 exclusively.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:22 PM
Posting a budget might narrow things down a bit.

I know a lot of people that are very happy with schiit audio products. They have DAC's that range from $99 to $2299. I don't know how it would compare to the Bottlehead DAC though.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:51 PM
I am currently building the AMB labs gamma 3 DAC

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:35 PM
For what I can spend - let's say up to $3K  - I'll sell some blood.   That AMB dac looks impressive, but it may be beyond my skill level - I depend on Doc's photos to get me through Bottlehead kits.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline johnsonad

Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 01:45:24 AM
I'm enjoying the iFi iDac2.  We tried quiet a few before settling on it.

Aaron Johnson

Offline borism

Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:36 AM

I know a lot of people that are very happy with schiit audio products. They have DAC's that range from $99 to $2299. I don't know how it would compare to the Bottlehead DAC though.

In the newest issue of the Absolute Sound Robert Harley calls the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC ($2300) "one of the greatest bargains in the history of high-end audio". I would certainly audition one if I was in the market in that price range.
My own DAC is a Metrum Musette - much less expensive. I like it very much.

Boris

Offline glynnw

Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:03 PM
Yeah, I read the AS article about the Schiit - really a strong review and I want to play with one.  I have a 2A3 amp on order to arrive in a couple of months.  I have promised myself to not buy a new DAC until I get to go to RMAF and see what is now available.  The Bottlehead is so good I have no trouble waiting and saving up some money for a new toy.

Offline johnsonad

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 02:39:33 AM
We tried their low end multibit DAC and didn't care for the sound. They have a 15 day return policy with restocking fee which makes demo a lot easier.

Aaron Johnson