I forgot how good this DAC sounds

debk · 5311

Offline debk

on: April 22, 2017, 12:56:35 PM
I stopped using this DAC when I couldn't get it working with my computer.  Since Windows incorporated a USB 2.0 audio driver I put t back into my system and it works flawlessly.  I had been using a Cambridge Audio DACmagic in the interim.

Well the difference is night and day, It is much more detailed and richer sounding with a considerably more immersive sound stage.  It will be interesting to see how it compares to the AMB labs gamma 3 DAC I am building

Deb
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:18:50 PM by debk »

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline ToolGuyFred

Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 02:03:58 AM
What PSU are you using? The Bottlehead DAC sounded much better in my system when I went from mains to batteries.

John
Amateur Audiophile and Backstreet Boffin.
Original Foreplay with C4S + Sweet Whispers
ParaSEX amps with MQ nickel-cored outputs
Factory-built Lowther Acousta 115s with silver-coiled DX3s, wired in DNM solid-core
KEF active sub (help for the last couple of octaves).
Bottlehead DAC on batteries.

Offline debk

Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 07:31:13 AM
I think the BH sounds better than the gamma 3 DAC.

I never got the bottlebat and don't think it is available anymore.  I am building a regulated power supply for it using the AMB labs sigma 11.  Should have that up and running this weekend.

Debra

Debra K

Eros 2Phono amp
BeePre2, Psvane ACME 300b
Kaiju, Linlai Elite  300b
Monamour 2a3 amps various tubes
Sota Sapphire, Pete Riggle Woody Tonearm, Kiseki Purpleheart Cartridge
Rega P6 Ania Pro cartridge
Roon Nucleus
MHDT Labs Orchid DAC
Jager speakers

Offline Johnnycopy

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 06:02:51 AM
John swenson has a pnother option. He is at the computer audiophile site, original from me, response from mr swenson.

John, interested in hearing your thoughts on this power supply driving your bottlehead dac.  I own your very fine BH and want to know what differences you hear.

thanks

I definitely use the LPS-1 with the BH DAC. Since I just have one LPS-1 I run a microRendu and the BHDAC off a Y cable from one LPS-1, it is probably not the best configuration but it is what I can do. Well right NOW I'm in the small apartment so the BHDAC is packed up in a POD, so I can't do anything with it right now.

As to how the LPS-1 improves things? Well the music just sound much more REAL, subtleties of intonation are much more readily apparent, the emotional content of some one playing or singing comes through much better. There is a change in how a lead singer relates to the rest of the musicians. Without the LPS-1 the lead singer stands out clearly and everybody else kind of seems blended together in the background. With the LPS-1 the background musicians don't blend together in the same way. You can clearly hear the individual musicians, it's not that they "stick out" but they are not artificially blended together.

The upshot is that I rarely listen to the sound, I just get caught up in the music.

John S.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 06:19:35 AM
John is indeed very happy with that power supply. We talked about it when he visited a few months ago. I haven't heard it but the reasoning behind it seems sound (pun intended). We don't have any Bottlebatts left, but another option is just to get a 6V SLA battery like we used in the Bottlebatt and figure out your own power cable and battery charger.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Mike B

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 03:17:23 PM
I forgot too.  Tested it when it arrived (first run) and haven't run it again until today.  Major system rework with new preamp, got my turntable going again, patched in the TV (stereo only) and let the tunes run.

Last night I reveled in the sound of vinyl and today I reveled in the sound of the BH DAC.  It was like the best vinyl sound w/o the pops and clicks.  Very nice and very smooth.  Glad I picked one up when I could - :)

Far away from the bleeding edge

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 11:20:47 AM
I've been using mine daily in my speaker setup since i got it, nothing else i own comes close.  ....wish i had another one for my headphone setup!

M.McCandless