A little help with stereomour II layout and iron

Jim R. · 2025

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: April 26, 2017, 12:59:23 PM
My usual set of questions before I start on a project...

Can somebody tell me the layout and numbering of the tag strips?

Also, the terminals and wiring on the power transformer, output transformer and plate choke?

I just want to get an idea of what I'm getting into now before I take the plunge.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline johnsonad

Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:10 PM
I don't own one but would help if I did! Glad to see you building projects again my friend!

Aaron Johnson

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 01:51:23 PM
Thanks Aaron!

Still taking baby steps and still limited as to how much time I can spend at the workbench, but it's a lot better than none at all.

I'll probably build my s.e.x. 2.1 before tackling the S-II, and I still have my el84 amp (which I love) to keep me in tunes until the steremour II is done, and then I am pretty sure I'll rotate them as I feel the urge to do so -- same with the speakers -- Orcas and Baby Benthics, or Abbys.

That should keep me for a lifetime of fine listening. I just could not have a Bottlehead amp in my system. My guess is that this amp with the shunt reg will be a really nice match with the Abbys.

Thanks again,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:05:43 PM
Jim,

I have built two of them, both with the SR circuit. Let me know how I can help.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:26:53 AM
Thanks for the offer and I may take you up on it, but after sleeping on it, I've decided to wait and see how the build of the s.e.x. 2.1 goes. I don't want to spend all that money on a kit that I won't be able to build.

I really do need to get back into this in baby steps and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew at this point.

I'd hate to have the kit sit here and then have a regression and then not be able to finish it.

Thanks again,

Jim

Offline BNAL

Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 02:46:24 AM
Jim,

Glad to hear your doing better and active on the forums. I hope that the positive trend continues.

Brad

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:58 AM
Hi Brad,

Thanks, my friend. It seems that things are on an upswing, but slowly, and so far no regression, so I seem to be getting stronger bit by bit, almost on a daily basis.

I just want to see how this s.e.x. build goes before getting more involved.

Take care,

Jim

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 03:43:40 PM
Hi Jim,

I’ll take a stab at this for you.

First off the output iron is the same OT-2 goodness as S.E.X. Next the PT-8 Power transformer is setup a little different with the Stereomour II. You measure your mains voltage and select the transformer taps accordingly. Here in the states our options are, LESS than 115V AC or GREATER than 115V AC and LESS than 130V AC. This kit employs a “measure as you go” methodology which I personally like.

The following descriptions of the layout are for the wiring side of the top plate. Starting from the back left you have the IEC socket. Towards the center are the speaker posts. On the back right there are three  sets of RCA input jacks. Moving forward a bit the right channel OT-2 on the left, PT-8 in the center and left channel OT-2 on the right. They are in a line similar to the SEX layout. The main difference being the larger top plate dimensions. Moving forward some more there is a hum pot on the left, some power supply wiring in the middle and another hum pot on the right. Moving forward once again are the tube sockets. Left side is a 4 pin 2A3 socket. Then two 9 pin sockets for the 12AT7’s and another 4 pin 2A3 socket on the right. There is also a two Chanel c4s board over the right hand side 9 pin socket. Flanking the tube sockets are a series of terminal strips where a majority of the wiring and component attachment is done. Moving to the front most edge of the plate you have a power switch on the left then a volume/balance control arrangement in the center and an input selector switch on the right.

Wiring is twisted pair to the 2A3 heaters, STP to the 12AT7’s, CAT5 for the input wiring and single conductor solid core everywhere else. The layout is nice and clean with lots of room to work in.

Knowing your experience with building these kits I’d say you could do it pretty easily. As always I’d be more than happy to assist along the way.

Hope that helps with a couple of the baby steps.

Regards,
Tom

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 03:10:36 AM
Hi Tom,

That is useful but mostly what I was after were the terminal numbers for the tag strips and the new transformer. I have the terminal numbers and such for the PC3 and OT2 already.

However, it is all moot at this point as I really want to see how I do on the s.e.x. amp first. My hand tremors are much better but not completely, and may never be. In fact I'm considering building the s.e.x. on a 10" x 12" plate so there is more room to work and maybe some room for some film caps in the PSU.

So, the stereomour II is on hold for now.

Glad to hear from you again though,

Jim

Offline Jamier

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:32:32 AM
Jim,

When your ready for the SII, let us know. I'm sure that all of us are ready to help in any way you need. Just a little incentive: an SR equipped SII is an incredible thing. I just got some circa 1940s RCA blackplate Radiotrons and I cannot walk away for even a minute.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 12:33:55 PM
James,

Well, of course. :-) Where else would I go but the best audio forum on the net? JK.

-- Jim