rechargable batteries

aragorn723 · 2407

Offline aragorn723

on: May 02, 2017, 11:39:08 AM
Hi,

I'm thinking about using some Tenergy Centura premium 9v batteries for the Quickie's 36v plate voltage.  These batteries have a 8.4v nominal voltage, so the max voltage for 4 of them would be 33.6v instead of the 36v with alkaline batteries.  Is that enough voltage to run the Quickie?  This seems like a big tradeoff in terms of capacity too, since they are 200mAh.  Based on that, the batteries would only last 50 hours.  This doesn't sound like the best solution, but the one positive would be not having to run out to the store for batteries. 

Dave

Offline BNAL

Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:19 PM
I believe that is fine. There is only 28 to 29 volts on the plate. If you are using the PJCCS it should adjust to the proper voltage and the resistor should be okay as well.

Brad Nalitt
Iron Upgraded S.E.X. Amp 2.0
Foreplay III
Quickie w/PJCCS
Eros Phono
Blumenstein Orca Speakers, Baby Benthic Subs
S.E.X.y Speakers W/FT17H Horn Tweeters
Thorens TD 125 MkII W/ Shure M97xE JICO SAS Stylus

Offline braubeat

Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 02:20:44 PM
i got 10 3.7 volt batteries plus holders and chargers 6000mah. on ebay less than $30 works great lasts a long time

michael

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 02:34:06 PM
No problem. The Q is designed to work acceptably in the range 24v to 36v, which is typical of alkaline batteries over their working life. (The PJCCS also adjusts current as the voltage drops over that span.) NiCd and NiMH rechargeable batteries hold very close to their nominal voltage throughout their charge life.

Paul Joppa

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 04:46:10 PM
Thanks for the replies.  Is it ok to use the niMH batteries for the 36v and alkaline for the 1.5v?  Would there be any issue with leakage or otherwise?

Dave

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 05:18:17 PM
Thanks for the replies.  Is it ok to use the niMH batteries for the 36v and alkaline for the 1.5v? ...
No problem, they are completely independent.

If you do get NiCd or MiMH D-cells, make sure they are actually D cells, not C or "sub-C" or AA in a larger case. Those deceptive examples are quite common, because the real thing is pretty expensive. You should see a capacity rating of at least 10,000 mAh. They are surprisingly heavy.

On that note, and quite off-topic, those 6-v lantern batteries you sometimes see are almost all D cells instead of the larger original F cells, at least if they are alkalines. (The old carbon-zinc versions seem to still be F cells, but they are much inferior to even the D-cell alkalines.) You can identify them because the case is heavier at one end. It's a jungle out there!

Paul Joppa

Offline IndyNate

Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 07:52:46 PM
Hi Fellow B-Headz!

Just wanted to drop my $.02 into the rechargeable batt world for the Quickie. For my build, I bought and installed from eBay EBL 4x 600mAh 9V Li-ion Rechargeable Batteries + 9 VOLT Battery Charger.  For $20, it's been the best investment I've made in a while. Dead quiet, long lived and a nifty 4-gang wall charger. Great! Then, I waited for a few weeks for 2pcs ZNTER 1.5V 6000mAh D Size Rechargeable Lithium Battery from Singapore. I was really excited to have a comprehensive, all Lithium batt design....however, the D-cells were horrifying and noisy!! At first I thought I'd lost my mind, but, the noise floor from the speakers at zero gain were similar to a soft and worn out cassette tape dragging over a dirty head. Shocking. Anyway, reverting to alkaline D cells restored my sonic inky black bliss. If all this is well known and repetitive, my apologies. FWIW, the Quickie 1.1 has revolutionized my passion for music. Hyperbole aside, once I found a couple NOS Telefunken, oh boy! Thanks Bottlehead for another sumptuous design. Til soon!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 07:59:22 AM
Hi IndyNate,

Thanks for the feedback.  I pretty much came to the same conclusion after researching the Tenergy Centuras more, and seeing pictures of exploded ones on Amazon  :P  Things are a little tight right now anyways due to not having a job, but Alkaline batteries seemed to be the best solution for me too (not just on saving a few bucks, but also for overall battery capacity, and it sounds great!).  Been listening to an Onkyo HT unit for the last 6 months, can't believe how much better my music sounds now :) 

I would love to find some Telefunkens one day and try them too.  I had a funny experience with tubes as well.  We moved from up north down to Georgia, and went from hardwood floors to wall to wall carpet.  The treble wasn't to my liking..  I'm kind of picky about that.  After switching to RT's (from france), sound is much better.  Which version of the Teles did you try?  3S4 or DL92?  I've Definitely seen some DL92 teles out on ebay (thought I read somewhere they would work with the quickie too??).

Dave

Offline IndyNate

Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:42 AM
Dave,

Sorry to hear about the employment situation. Been there a few times in life. Quite a frustrating time, and a bit depressing sometimes. But, something always comes up I've found.

My Teles are 3s4. I plucked them for $35 in a buy it now, and, I've NEVER seen a pair again so I feel pretty lucky. They're INSANELY microphonic, but only when disturbed. In quiet passages, I don't hear the tolling of their bells lol.

So far as NiMH, ugh, gross. I used to deal with them for wireless mics and other electronics. Firstly, they self-drain within a couple weeks, at least for me, and no matter what the amp ratings, they weaken rapidly. I'm sticking to alkaline for the D-cells, and the LiPO 9vs seems to be fantastic. Being 9v are the priciest component, great success.

Regardless, the Quickie has revolutionized my music experience too, so, the small expense of batts is well worth it. I feed the output into a gainclone I built, which drives a couple KEF 104/2s. I highly recommend the system chain!

Cheers to all,

Nathan

Offline troplin

Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 11:50:19 AM
So far as NiMH, ugh, gross. I used to deal with them for wireless mics and other electronics. Firstly, they self-drain within a couple weeks, at least for me, and no matter what the amp ratings, they weaken rapidly. I'm sticking to alkaline for the D-cells, and the LiPO 9vs seems to be fantastic. Being 9v are the priciest component, great success.

I don't know when you were using NiMH cells but they seem to have improved quite a bit in recent (~10) years. There's a new (well, not that new anymore) type called "low self discharge" NiMH, that usually even comes precharged. They are also said to have quite a flat voltage curve until almost completely discharged. The most known brand is "eneloop" but there are others (probably many of them are rebranded). I don't know if there are differences in quality between.
I use those quite a lot, because they are easy to find and can be used as drop-in replacement for alkaline cells. Mainly for the kids toys though, I don't have any battery powered audio gear currently.
Oh, and I didn't do any tests or comparisons. But for me they work well enough.

Tobias

Offline IndyNate

Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:10 PM
Tobias,

Actually, it was well over 10 years ago, 12 to be precise! They were AAs and 9vs, and I recall going mad trying to keep them charged. So, I will definitely look into the new cells. Pretty exciting news actually. Is time really flying this fast??

Thanks!

Nathan

Offline rif

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 11:47:07 AM
Back when my quickie was together, I used 3x 12V NiCd packs instead if 9V.  Worked great.  I kept the d cells alkaline for the reasons above.

-david

Offline Karl5150

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 10:15:54 AM
So like others above and as stated before on other similar threads, I'm using rechargeable batteries in my Quickie. Since it is now in the "lounge" upstairs there are periods of inactivity and a mix of short and extended listening. The 600mAh 9V, LiIon EBLs work well and last adequately between charging. They only charge to about 8V so I inserted a 9V clip lead that allows for a 5th battery when the voltage drops below 30.
I'm also having good luck with some EBL 10000mAh, NimH D-Cells. Very heavy and the system is dead quiet. They need more frequent charging than swapping Alkaline, but that is why I bought 4. My 0.02 and YMMV. Viva la Quickie!

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77