Internal component and base clearance

Jim R. · 3029

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: September 04, 2010, 08:10:53 AM
Ok, my usual question about how much of the internal height of the base do the standard components require?  In other words, can the base be cut down at all from it's current height?  It looks as if it can, but I just want to double check.

Also, do the PSU board standoffs have to be 1" or can those be cut down to 3/4 or 1/2, with a corresponding shortening of the transformer bolts?

Note, I don't want things too close to the table top, maybe just want to take 1/2 off the base height.  I have some fairly large (45mm x 95mm) output caps, so I'm not going to do anything too radical, and I will of course keep the clearance between the bottom of the base and the table surface at least as tall as with the standard feet to keep airflow through the cooling slots at or above spec.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:15:51 PM
Anybody? Doc, PJ, Shawn?

Thanks,

Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:52:03 PM
Doc is going absolutely nucking futs with way too many things on his plate right now (I've added some myself, I'm afraid  :^) so it's got to be Shawn - they have the production prototype at headquarters so I can't answer. Remember that both of them are heavily tied up in getting the entire operation moved to the new location, it may be that the prototype is at the new building which does not have internet yet - maybe not even phones, I don't know.

The PSU standoffs keep the board above the transformer terminals; as I recall the 1-inch height is an absolute bare minimum - you MUST trim the leads on the back side of the board pretty tight to keep it from touching those terminals. And don't leave out any of the washers or nuts, either!

Paul Joppa

Offline HiFi Builder Guy

• HiFi Builder Guy Facebook
Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 07:55:26 AM
Hi Jim, the measurement from the top of the plate to the lowest hanging component (100uf 450v electrolytic) is around 2 5/8".  The wood base is 3 1/2 " tall so that leave 7/8" before the caps protrude from the base (the supplied rubber feet are approximately 5/16").  There is only 1/4" of clearance between the PC board and PT terminals, so I would not attempt to gain any height by shortening the standoffs. 

So it appears that you could get away with trimming the base height down 1/2".  Whether that still provides adequate cooling with the stock feet I cannot say.  I'm sure PJ or Doc can provide that info.

Regards,

Shawn

Shawn
HiFi Builder Guy

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:05 AM
Sorry guys, looks like I'll just leave well enough alone. Apologies for my impatience but my buddy was about to make the radius stock for me.

No more silly questions until BH world HQ is done!

-- Jim

Offline Grainger49

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:40:05 AM
I liked the phrase Doc coined the other day, Bottleheadquarters.

Very appropriate.