Crack static on right channel

revolverxz · 2239

Offline revolverxz

on: May 15, 2017, 02:49:49 PM
My crack amplifier started to have static sounds on the right channel after a month of use (similar to the sound when removing/inserting the headphone jack). I checked to see if the problem is coming from my headphone but the static is not present when using other amps. So far I've tried:

1. Changing /Removing the RCA cables
2. Using a new Power tube
3. Only having the power cord and a headphone connected
4. Turning off cellphone+laptop

and it still produces static. I haven't changed anything on the amplifier's circuit since I finished building it. I still haven't tried changing the input tube or cleaning its pins.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 03:47:59 PM
Try cleaning those pins next.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline revolverxz

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 04:39:46 PM
Will sandpaper work? I don't have any brushing tools or rubbing alcohol.

Offline revolverxz

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 04:48:47 PM
Update: I left the crack on the whole day yesterday and the noise happens less often now. I still hear it sometimes but it's more quiet than before. I'll see if my replacement tube will fix the problem.

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:48:57 AM
Push the pins through a piece of fine Scotch Brite. A combo dish washing pad can be used, one that has softened up with a bit of use a good choice. You can glue a piece inside a small tube to make an individual pin polisher. Don't go crazy, the pins have pretty soft plating. A squirt of DeOxit helps.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 02:40:31 AM
Another often mentioned pin cleaning trick is plunging several times into a "magic eraser".

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline revolverxz

Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 02:05:55 PM
I have replaced the input tube but I'm still getting static/crackling noise on the right channel. Could it be outside interference causing it? I don't think it's a bad/cold joint since I have been using the crack for a month without the static/crackling.

Offline Lawrence Ho

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 02:10:26 AM
I have replaced the input tube but I'm still getting static/crackling noise on the right channel. Could it be outside interference causing it? I don't think it's a bad/cold joint since I have been using the crack for a month without the static/crackling.

I had almsot the issue before.
Try turn off your router or move your amp away from it.

Offline revolverxz

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 11:27:52 AM
Turning off the router did not help. I think it's the tube sockets. I will try cleaning them next.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:33 AM
I don't think it's a bad/cold joint since I have been using the crack for a month without the static/crackling.
The age of the amp doesn't preclude the possibility of having bad solder joints.  I've worked on 50+ year old gear that had flaky solder joints that didn't reveal themselves until well after production.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline revolverxz

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:32:55 AM
ok I have tried the chopstick test and none of the connections affect the crackling/static noise. Cleaning the tube sockets with DeoxIT did not help. I also noticed that the crackling isn't that loud/happens less often when there is music playing. I don't understand why this happens because there is noise even if I only have the headphone and the power cord plugged in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:41:15 AM by revolverxz »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:42 PM
It might be a good idea to try a different 12AU7.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline revolverxz

Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 03:25:29 PM
I replaced both tubes and still have the crackling/static. I was able to use the crack without any noise for the whole day yesterday and two days ago, but now it's back. 

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:20:54 AM
I would go back to the chopstick test.  Pay careful attention to the junction of the black wires on the headphone jack; that seems to be a spot that gives builders some trouble.

Paul "PB" Birkeland