Quickie Problems

brucef · 3619

Offline brucef

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 12:13:17 PM
Almost reluctant to post here again. So, I got home today and decided to mess with the Quickie setup. Turned everything on and the static started again. Tried both sets of inputs, put in different tubes, and even put the original rca cables in the mix. It will be nice and quiet and then randomly some static. Almost like interference during an electrical storm. I even tried waving my cell phone around things to see if that was triggering it. I started messing with the on/off/selector switch and that seems to trigger things. If I push on it a bit or jiggle it around it seems to give me the static. I can get it to stop and it will be fine for 5, 10, 20 minutes and then there will be a random static crackle for a few seconds and then it stops. This all started out of the blue a couple of days ago. Thinking about swapping out the selector switch. Any thoughts??

Bruce F

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 01:40:39 PM
Have you cleaned the tube pins?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jamier

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 03:42:18 PM
Bruce,

I was having similar problems with my Quickie. I changed the RCAs, volume pot and the selector switch, each time certain that I had found the problem. But the problem of static always returned. Then I was sure that the problem was RFI so I moved my modem / router well away from the audio gear.This also seemed to cure the problem for awhile, but it returned. What finally cured the problem (so far) was to place fairly heavy metal weights on the 9V batteries. I placed thin rubber pads between the batteries and the weights. I mentioned in a previous post that I don't know if the weights are shielding the batteries or just improving the battery contact but so far so good.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline brucef

Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 12:15:06 AM
I will try cleaning the tube pins. i can also try shielding the batteries. It is far away from my router so I don't think it is getting interference from that.

Bruce F

Offline aragorn723

Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 12:47:22 AM
Do you have another set of tubes to try?

Dave

Offline Jamier

Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 03:47:32 AM
Bruce,

Based on what PB said about batteries and RFI, I suspect the improvement in my Q was due to the weight  increasing the contact pressure on the terminals. Try this: when your system is on, try pushing down on the 9V batteries. When I did this I was able to create the static and when I weighted the batteries the problem stopped. I am currently using some generic puck weights that don't cover the terminals so I think that PB is right. It may only be one battery that isn't contacting well so push on each one individually to find the offender. The small pads between the weight and the batteries insure that each battery gets weighted. I think the terminals in the battery box may get stretched when removing the 9Vs, just enough to reduce contact and make a noisy connection.

Jamie
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:24:20 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline brucef

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 10:51:04 AM
Thanks Jamie. I will try messing with the batteries.

Dave - I have tried a couple of different sets of tubes in it and the static did continue. I put some Brimar tubes (the pins) in some 99.9% pure isopropyl alcohol this morning and let them soak for most of the day. I will give them a try later if I have time. Thanks for your input and help.

Bruce F

Offline brucef

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2017, 08:23:55 AM
I switched the tubes on the Q and fired everything up. Heard a little static for a second or 2 and then it was quiet. I tried what Jamie suggested and touched/ pushed on the 9 volt batteries. Lots and lots of static. They must be the culprits. Any other thoughts or solutions other than putting weights on them?

Bruce F

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #23 on: June 10, 2017, 12:27:44 PM
Just looking over your first photo, the solder joint at pin 7 of that tube socket is cold and maybe not super well connected.  I would reheat all the solder joints in your kit, especially if they have that dull luster.

Having no sound out of both channels implies that something shared between both channels isn't working properly.  The thing that comes to mind first is the string of 9V batteries.  I'd give all the joints that connect adjacent battery holders a tug to see if any come loose.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline brucef

Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 07:44:39 AM
OK. Will do

Bruce F

Offline brucef

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
Had a chance to fiddle around with the Q. Checked the 9v battery wires and when I touched them, number 1 and number 8 that are sodered together caused the static. I removed the heat shrink and re flowed the solder on all of the wires. Also checked the solder points and reflowed many of them. Tried the Q again and #1 and #8 still seem to be the culprit. Not sure where to go from here.

Bruce F

Offline brucef

Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 12:08:20 PM
Another update. So I decided to cut off the soldered wire connection in question for the 9v battery holder and resolder the wires. I also cutoff and resoldered the wires on the holder right next to it. Hooked everything up and the static is gone. I will monitor things and report back in the next few days. I am hoping this will solve the issues.

Bruce F

Offline brucef

Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 12:22:50 PM
Hopefully this is the final update on this issue. So the static came back a bit. I started messing around with the red and black wires that come off the battery holders. Whan I moved the red wire from the 1st holder (as you are looking at the top of the Q) I was getting the static. If I jiggled the black wire that it was connected to on holder 4, I did not get the static unless I really moved it alot which in turn would move the red wire and cause the static. Also, the number 2 battery holder was doing the same thing but not as bad. I think where the wires were crimped to the contacts is the problem. I picked up 2 battery holder that are identical to the others (could not find any metal ones I liked) and put them in. Now the Q is silent. Jiggle all of the wires and no static. So I would say if anyone else is having the static issue, check the wires. Jiggle them while the unit is on and try to pinpoint any that may be bad.

Bruce F