Polk monitor 10

butchbass · 2304

Offline butchbass

on: June 09, 2017, 09:00:18 AM
Anyone using Polk Monitor 10s? For grins I pulled mine out of the garage and hooked them up to my Paramours. I have had them since 1979. They sound pretty good. Because of the tweeters I am hearing treble nuances that I did not hear on my Orca and the bass sounds good without a subwoofer. I rebuilt the crossovers and bypassed the tweeter fuse and really improved the sound.  I did have one Fubar, I dropped one cabinet about 6"and the magnets in both mid woofers shifted due to the magnet glue breaking down and it seized up the voice coils. I wasn't aware that there is such a tight clearance between the voice coils and the slug that distributes the magnetic field around the coil. I took both of the good speakers out of the other cabinet and epoxied the magnets before I messed them up! I put one good speaker in each cabinet and then put a blank piece of plywood over the empty speaker opening to seal up the cabinets since they have a passive radiator.  I used Mortite to seal the plywood and the speakers.  I realize I have an impedance mismatch now but it is only temporary. I am going to get Polk MW6503s to replace the two speakers I messed up and see how that sounds. One thing it made me realize, I want some of Doc's new speakers when they come out.

Butch Gross
Stereomour II/  Blumenstein Orcas, Dungenes/Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Amarra

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:31:26 PM
I have a pair of DCM Time Windows I got back in the 80's. I gave them to my mom who was a big classical fan. I set them up a few weeks ago and am still listening to them. Not perfect but very easy to listen to. They still do that coherent thing they were famous for...John

John Scanlon