PT-3 ?

pro_crip · 2021

Offline pro_crip

on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:01 AM
I goofed the other day and overheated one of the terminals, #10 to be exact, with my soldering iron. The terminal popped out of its base and a thin wire connecting the terminal to the transformer became disconnected. I managed to get the terminal back in its base, do I solder that wire back on to the terminal? If I do, how do I check the transformer to make sure I didn't kill the poor thing and purchase another one. Btw, this is for a crack. Thanks

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline JC

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:38:40 AM
If you are lucky, the wire is still continuous with the remainder of its coil and you can solder it back onto its terminal.  I don't know the numbering system on that transformer (at least, I don't think I do), but the other end of that coil terminates on another terminal.  A resistance check between the terminals that represent the ends of that particular coil should tell you if you have been successful.  Hopefully, someone here will tell you which terminal number is at the other end.

If possible, try to clean the end of that loose wire with a bit of emery paper before you attempt to re-attach it.  Be VERY gentle!  The smaller the wire, the more likely it is to break!

This is not an impossible task, just a difficult one.  Remember, somebody at the transformer factory had to do it originally, so it can be done.

Good luck!

Update:  IF this is the same PT-3 as used in the SEX amp, the
                 measurement will be between terminals 9 & 10, and
                 will be approximately 80 Ohms.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:53:22 AM by JC »

Jim C.

Offline pro_crip

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:59:02 AM
Thanks JC. I was able to solder that wire back on and the resistance check showed everything was a-ok. I would've done this sooner, but the forum software was acting weird. Whenever I clicked on "show new replies to your posts" nothing came up. I didn't see the response until I went in looking for something else. On the crack, power transformer terminals 9&10 get tied to 6&7 with a twisted pair. When I did the resistance check again, to make sure I didn't de-solder that wire, the resistance was halved. When I checked the resistance against terminal 6 it was also halved so I assume everything's kosher. Thanks again for the help.

Rich

Richard J Feldman
Professional Gimp,connoisseur of Bourbon and Vinyl, metalhead

Crack, Extended FPIII, Eros, Paramount 300B's (in the midst of construction)

Tune down, smoke up

Offline JC

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:16 PM
Good deal!

Presumably, the instructions specified which terminal connects to which other terminal, and you will be good to go.

Well done, those small wires can be tricky to work with.

Jim C.