OT NZ Earthquake link

ironbut · 1551

Offline ironbut

on: September 11, 2010, 10:37:45 AM
I have a buddy who lives in Christchurch New Zealand where a 7.1 quake hit last week. I was relieved to find out that she and her family were fine. The photos from there were eerily reminicent of the shaker in 89 that I went through.
Here's an very cool animation of the original quake and the subsequent aftershocks. Check it out!

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

steve koto

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
Steve,

I remember the 89 quake very well, even though I was living in NJ at the time.  Was just diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, couldn't sleep and tuned in thw world series, saw the quake happen and was glued to my little 12" b/w tv for days.

We are slowly getting a large wildfire under control here in Boulder that appears to be the worst in Colorado history in terms of homes lost -- something like 170 homes are gone but no deaths or injuries.  The other night they were about to extend the evacuation area to within 4 blocks west of here, so again, a little too close for comfort. I am sure I know several folks who have lost homes, but I can't contact them yet.  This fire was about 4 miles from here and the last wildfire in this area in January of2009 came within less than a mile.

Hope your friends in NZ are all ok,

-- Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline ironbut

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 11:20:47 AM
Yeah, I had a buddy that was at that game when it happened. He was sitting under the upper deck and he said the dust and little pieces of concrete was coming down on them.

That was some truly scary and tragic stuff.

steve koto