Eros Tube Equivalents

Grainger49 · 19790

Offline Grainger49

on: September 13, 2010, 08:00:28 AM
This thread is to explore and list tube types, different numbers, that can be used in the Eros' three signal path tubes without any circuit modifications.  That is, drop in equivalents.

These are the ones I have found. 

I will modify the OP with others as posters contribute other numbers.

If anyone finds that I have a tube with the wrong pin out, or higher heater current than the Eros can supply please post and I will modify the OP accordingly.

Eros Tube Equivalents (in alphanumeric order):

EF86
CV10098
CV2901
CV4085
EF806S(G)
E80F
PF86 (?)
Z729
6CF8 (?)
6F22
6J32P (USSR Surplus, 6Ж32П)
6J8 (Chinese number)

CCA
CV10320
CV2492
CV2493
CV4086 Only the ones with pins, not flying leads
CV4108
CV4109
CV4110
CV5231
CV5354
CV8065
E188C
E188CC
E288CC ?
E88CC
E88CC01
ECC868
6922WA
6N23P (6Н23П, USSR Surplus, the -EV sounds better to me)

Non-Direct Substitutes for the EF86, these have the same specs but require the tube socket to be rewired:
EF40
EF804(S)
6BR7
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:00:58 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:00 AM
Seems to be some confusion here. If I am responsible, I apologize - I do get things mixed up sometimes.

The Russian version of the EF86 is the 6J32P (6Ж32П) according to drtube.com. The old Svetlana ones (the factory is now known as Winged C) were pretty good tubes.

The Russian version of the 6922 is 6N23P (6Н23П) according to TDSL. It's a pretty good tube, especially the -EV version.

I generally prefer the 6922 over the 6DJ8 because the 6922 draws less heater current, withstands plate voltages over 90v better, and has better premium versions available. But they are equivalent in performance.

The 6N1P is NOT equivalent to the 6922 or the 6DJ8, in spite of being advertized that way all over the web!

Again, sorry for any errors or lack of clarity!

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:22 AM
Paul, you are not confused, I am.  It was a brain fart that got the 6J32P and 6N23P confused (I'm a little dyslexic).  I will correct that in the OP.  

All of my going back and forth between the 6DJ8 and the 6922 on TDSL this morning kicked the 6N23P from the list.  (Really odd because I have a hand full of 6N23Ps and got my Eros kit yesterday, that is why I'm cranking up this thread!)  It was delivered shortly this morning after Paully and I talked about his shucking all his 6DJ8s in favor of the equivalent 6922 versions.  Then I came back and tried to clean up this post.  

There had been no response to this post in over a year.  

Now Paully says I have to buy some NOS 12BH7s (BTW, the schematic says 6CG7, the kit came with a 12BH7).

Paul, you might remember that I have a dozen 6N1Ps so I know the problem with them and the heater current.  Good sounding tube but not for the Eros!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:27:24 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline coors

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 07:05:05 AM
I will reply and ask questions here rather than on the troubleshooting thread to try to keep threads more consistent.
Quick background, all my gear is SS.  I bought the original S.E.X. amp and am using it all stock, the sound is fantastic so that gave me the fever.  Honestly I did not really want to get into tubes for this very reason, but now that I am swimming in the deep end, here it goes.
If the tubes that you can substitute for the original ones have similar specs what part of the spec makes one tube sound better than the other? Or is it really not the spec at all and just the way the tube was put together that gives it a different flavor?  I have a vague idea that capacitors can effect bass response, what would be the analogy for tubes?  I would rather not go on a quest of tube rolling even though it would be fun, but rather find a very good great sounding tube that is reliable.  
In the list of tubes given above are there large differences in sonic signatures and if so which sonic signatures can you attribute to that specific tube type?
And
How does rolling the 6922's change the sonics as compared to rolling the EF86's.
I see that you do not mention the 12BH7AEH tube, why not?  would not changing this tube also somehow alter the performance and sonic signature?
Lastly of all the tubes that you have rolled what would be your top 2 or 3 that you would use, please include specifics, tube type manufacturer year, NOS, where it is available etc.
As you can see I am a total noob but I also would rather shorten my learning curve dramatically with YOUR knowledge!
Sam
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:07:06 AM by coors »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 11:40:20 AM
This thread was intended for equivalent numbers, not specifically for sonic signatures of the tubes but... here goes:

.  .  .   If the tubes that you can substitute for the original ones have similar specs what part of the spec makes one tube sound better than the other?

Specs do not make one tube (or any other audio device) sound better than another.  If that were true tubes would not be "equivalents"  If you go here you will find what is typical for tube specifications:

http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6922

All 6922 and equivalents have virtually identical numbers.

Or is it really not the spec at all and just the way the tube was put together that gives it a different flavor?

I think that is right, it is the internal structures, but that is just my opinion.

I have a vague idea that capacitors can effect bass response, what would be the analogy for tubes?  

Ok, capacitors are something to swap out once you have settled on your favorite tubes.  There are some that will sound better than stock but, again, everyone has different tastes so it is impossible to say for sure you will like what I like.

A larger capacitor value can extend the low frequency response in certain instances.  This does not mean enhance the bass really.  In the Bottlehead designs the capacitors are large enough that you and I will never, ever hear the improvement of increasing the size of the capacitor.

I would rather not go on a quest of tube rolling even though it would be fun, but rather find a very good great sounding tube that is reliable.  

New tubes should be reliable.  That is what NOS tubes are and the EH are new current production tubes.  There has not been a flurry of EH tube failures in the Eros.  It sounds to me that they might have gotten a few bad ones recently.  But over the years that the Eros has been made tube problems have been few.

In the list of tubes given above are there large differences in sonic signatures and if so which sonic signatures can you attribute to that specific tube type?

Yes, large differences are there.  I haven't tried but a few.  Again, what you want to hear might be different than what I'm interested in.  So... start a thread in the Eros folder and tell the community what you are most interested in.  There are several hundred Eros preamps out there, you will get a variety of responses.

I like the sound of the USSR Military surplus.  But you and I are different people.  It depends on what is most important to you.  There are many attributes that tubes have.  In the reasonable price category you get one or two attributes optimized.  Only when you pay high prices for NOS highly sought after tubes do you get many attributes optimized.

And how does rolling the 6922's change the sonics as compared to rolling the EF86's.

I see that you do not mention the 12BH7AEH tube, why not?  would not changing this tube also somehow alter the performance and sonic signature?

Lastly of all the tubes that you have rolled what would be your top 2 or 3 that you would use, please include specifics, tube type manufacturer year, NOS, where it is available etc.

As you can see I am a total noob but I also would rather shorten my learning curve dramatically with YOUR knowledge!
Sam

The 12BH7, the "AEH" is optional, is not one of the audio amplifying tubes.  However Dan/Doc has changed them and found a different tube he likes.  You might do a search to find that post.

The EF86 is the first tube to amplify the signal.  It is the most critical.  The 6922 is the last audio tube and the effect of it is less but still in the audio path.  

I have had the EH tubes and the USSR surplus tubes in my Eros.  No others.  I had the luxury of hearing many tubes rolled through my friend's Eros.  He, poster Paully, has posted throughout the Eros folder and you can find a lot of good information from his posts as well as others.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 08:41:31 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline coors

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:25:43 PM
I appreciated your detailed answers.  I guess I will start my quest!
Thank you
Sam

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:30:37 PM
If the tubes that you can substitute for the original ones have similar specs what part of the spec makes one tube sound better than the other? ...  I would rather not go on a quest of tube rolling even though it would be fun, but rather find a very good great sounding tube that is reliable.  

I see that you do not mention the 12BH7AEH tube, why not?  ...
There are only a few aspects of tube design that might reasonably be expected to affect the sonics, though I am quite confident that there are more which we do not know of or understand yet. Of the known or suspected ones, mechanical resonance in the tube structure is one. The varying voltages on the internal components produce varying electrostatic forces on the parts, so their resonances are excited by the presence of music. And the human ear is quite sensitive to them, especially those that might be in the vocal range. The second is the cathode, including the base metal alloy plus the oxide coating. The chemistry is quite complex and not that well understood, but it is a semiconductor, with trace elements of the base material diffusing into the coating throughout the tube's life, and metal atoms exposed on the surface (in between the other components) seeming to effect the actual electron emission. The roughness of the coating increases the exposed area substantially. The outer surface gradually gets damaged and renewed through the tube's life, by the electric forces, the random nature of the atomic vibrations that are heat, and the impact of ions in the incomplete vacuum.

None of the above are characterized in the specs. So, you are left with either doing a lot of experimenting yourself, or trying to interpret what other experimenters have posted. Both are time-consuming and frustrating. :^) For myself, I kind of go with the flow, adopting those consistent recommendations that are not too expensive and ignoring the rest. I design stuff, so I put my effort into solving problems through design, where I have more control. I know that tube rolling and component selection would make my system better but I can't do everything so I focus on what I can - and on enjoying the music!

The 12BH7 is part of the shunt regulator, which is dominated by the 431 chip. This reduces its influence on the sound. Both stages of Eros are isolated from the power supply by C4S current sources, which further reduces the power supply's influence. Not to say it has no effect, but it should (in theory of course) be the least important of the tubes in Eros.

Paul Joppa

ALEXZ

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 04:36:22 PM
Paul,
In my experience with Eros tape repro, contrary to what I expected, diferent  tubes in the shunt regulator have distinctive sound signature. Tubes I have tried are the following:  original  EH 12nh7, GE 12bh7a NOS White logo, Tungsol 12bh7a NOS from 70s and Mullart Cv4003. The last one started it all. I have replaced stock 12bh7 with Mullard to make sure it want change a thing. The result  was noticeable improvemt almos immediately. Unfortunately 12au7 runs too close to maximum plate dissipation.   After that I got and tried Tungsol and GE. In my case Tungsol was a disappointment and GE is in the middle between stock tube and Mullard.
The rest of the Eros tubes are Telefunken EF804S and Amperex 6dj8 or 7308pq. Servo circuit replaced with LED.
Does anyone tried deferent tubes in the PS ?
Thank you,
Alex
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:25:46 PM by ALEXZ »

Offline Noskipallwd

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 08:35:39 PM
Hello Alexz, well I haven't received the Eros yet but have been collecting parts. I just found it interesting you mentioned the TS 12bh7a. My friends who are into guitar amps all recommended either the TS or Sylvania 12bh7a. They all said these had the best tone of all the 12bh7 variants they had tried. In my experience, (however limited that may be), power supply tubes affect the sound signature of an amp. I've built a couple of tube rectified amps, I was told by quite a few folks that rolling in different rectifiers should not have a sonic effect, I found that for me, nothing was further from the truth. Every rectifier change in these amps produced a significant change, some bad, some good. Of course that is IMHO.

Cheers,
Shawn

Shawn Prigmore

ALEXZ

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:30:11 AM

Hello Shawn, 
I can't comment on the value of any specific brand of 12BH7. I tried single tungsol tube and I don't like the sound of this one tube. I can't explain why PS tube changes the sound. The only thing I've checked that HV stays the same for all tubes in test. 
Speaking of the guitar amps, hard to compare experiences due to very different objectives. What's good tone ? More 2nd or 3rd harmonic ? Microphonic that gives feeling of a  "space" via positive acoustic feedback?  Who knows ...
The only thing I'm ready to recommend is to listen with your source, amp, speakers in your room  to different tubes in the PS and share please your findings.

Dear Bottleheads, could you please comment on using 12au7 in place of 12bh7?  Max plate dissipation of 12BH7 is 3.5w , 12AU7 2.75w. What are the complications ?  Is it possible to bleed let's say 5 ma to reduce current going thought PS tube ? 
Thank you,
Alex

Offline Grainger49

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:43:12 AM
ALEXZ,

This wasn't intended to be a tube rolling thread.  The purpose was to list the tube numbers that would work as a drop in replacement for the 3 signal path tubes in the Eros.  

Also, a number of the tubes you have mentioned are not a drop in replacement and alter the design.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:19:58 AM by Grainger49 »

ALEXZ

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 07:08:03 AM
Grainger49,
All of the tubes mentioned in my post are drop in replacement for 12bh7 in both phono or tape Eros amp.
That is also applicable to EF804s, fully compatible equivalent of ef86 except pinout, the same as
Non-Direct Substitutes for the EF86, these require the tube socket to be rewired:
EF40
6BR7
in your original post.

However, if you believe that my post somehow inappropriate for your thread, I can delete it, also you can ask moderator to delete it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:46:50 AM by ALEXZ »

Offline Grainger49

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:18:03 AM
Alex,

There is no listing for a 12NH7 on TDSL Tube Data.  Can you supply a link for this tube's data?

A CV4003 is a 12AU7, which of course is not a 12BH7, neither are they drop in replacements for each other.

Again, TDSL has no listing for a EF8004S.  Can you supply a link for this tube's data?

In reply #1 above Paul Joppa explains why Bottlehead prefers the 6922 to the 6DJ8, and that is why this number was removed from the list.

Your most recent post mentions the E 804S, which isn't on TDSL.  Can you supply a link for this tube's data? Edit: found in European Vacuum Tubes.  Listed in the third category. 

I will add all that I can verify are equivalents.

As far as being appropriate, I can only say that it is for numbers not that one manufacturer sounds better than another.  I intend it to be a reference for equivalent tubes as the title suggests.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:46:52 AM by Grainger49 »

ALEXZ

Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 12:09:01 PM
Google please EF804S it is very interesting tube.
http://www.hifitubes.nl/weblog/wp-content/telefunken-ef804s.pdf
Also 12AU7 can be used in most cases in place of 12BH7.
Also 6DJ8 works well in Eros.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 12:15:57 PM by ALEXZ »

ALEXZ

Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
Oops... EH 12nh7 - it was a typo ... I mentioned that it's an original Eros tube, obviously it is 12BH7