The Jäger Loudspeaker

Doc B. · 19837

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: September 05, 2017, 03:48:12 PM
We are very proud to announce that we are now taking pre-orders for the Jäger Loudspeaker kit. We are accepting pre-orders through Sunday, September 17th. Price is $2799 plus shipping. We estimate that shipping will begin 4 to 6 weeks after the end of the pre-order period. At this time we are taking orders for domestic shipping only. We are researching ways to ship this rather heavy kit internationally, and will post info if and when we find a way to. When you order you will also receive a coupon for 15% off of any Bottlehead loudspeaker amp kit - Kaiju, Stereomour II, Seductor, S.E.X. or Quicksand. And, the first five people to order will receive a special thank you gift.

https://bottlehead.com/product/jager-speaker-kit/

(https://bottlehead.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/jagerproductfront.jpg)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:10:25 PM
Dear Doc; I would love to order a pair of the Jager speaks, and pick the kit up @ Bottlehead instead of shipping. how do I order if this is an option? i would of course like to be among the first five if that is possible. 8pm Wednesday.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene, OR

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:08:27 PM
Several people have expressed interest in this. I would recommend going ahead and placing your order online, and we will refund shipping as necessary.

I will say you will need at least a car with fold down seats; the cabinets will not fit in a trunk. Also, once you factor in fuel costs, ferries, (and especially time), most people are not going to save any money picking up. Plus by the time kits are ready to ship, you might want to just get rolling, and ground shipping to much of the PNW is 1 day shipping. Like I said, we can refund shipping if that's the road you choose, but that's not a decision that needs to be made today (but getting into the queue is).

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:51:35 PM
Thanks for the caution Full Head;

However I have business north of Seattle that would make a trip a good thing to do in a month or so. Stopping in Poulsbo to hear them and catch up with Doc, Eileen, and the Gang would be a plus.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 10:23:23 AM
Just a reminder that we are now into the last week to pre-order one of the first run Jäger speaker kits. Don't miss out!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:26:32 AM
First kits shipped yesterday afternoon! We are able to get one or two packed each day, so we hope to have all of the kits on order shipped by the end of next week.

I took the prototype pair that we built for the assembly manual home last night, and installed them as the new main speakers in our small ~10x14 home theater. The setup is 5.1 surround and has until now used Blumenstein Orcas with Dungeness subs for the mains. An Orca center is used for the center channel, Orcas for the surrounds, and two Dungeness subs stacked for the FX channel. All channels except the FX are driven by Stereomour amps. We sit about 10 feet from the main speakers. Projector is a Sony G70 CRT projector with a 95" screen. Source is an Oppo BDP-103 running at 1080P.

My fear that we might be at the nearfield limit for the Jägers was totally unfounded. They sound really, really good in this small room. Top end extension is most welcome and the bass is just WOW. Between the installation of a new green CRT in my projector and these speakers I can't come up with any good reason to go to SeeFilm or Cinerama anymore.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgoss

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:55:53 AM
Wonderful news Doc!  I can't wait to read impressions of these speakers from the first group of builders.  I was planning to get in on the first order, but unplanned medical bills prevented it.  I hope to order a pair next year though.  From the impressions I have read so far these have the potential to become your biggest selling product.  There are a lot of folks out there who love their low power amps but have never been happy with their speakers.  Once word gets out, I believe the orders will pour in, including lots of orders from outside the Bottlehead community.  Thanks for keeping us posted on the progress.

Ken Goss

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:30:03 AM
We had a bit of a last minute curveball regarding the grade of baltic birch ply we could get. After some searching our cabinet maker turned up some really excellent material.
Here's the run of panels, lined up in the hallway for packing.

(https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23318952_10211684227594981_1817027693092602143_n.jpg?oh=eca5e2d6aa8e4b13edb8b2c22a7ec9a4&oe=5AA9BD35)

And here's that very first kit, fresh off the packing bench. The big boxes are custom made for the job and each holds the panels for one speaker, surrounded by custom die cut foam supports. The third box holds the drivers, hardware and all the other stuff. Total ship weight is up around 140-150 lbs. 

(https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23231393_10211689606769457_3164243588933447296_n.jpg?oh=66de8a7e9484bfc298ab8b90e9cb1a0b&oe=5A6BA701)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 12:18:14 PM
This is how the cabinet panels are shipped. We spent a ton of dough on custom made boxes with die cut foam corner protectors so your panels will arrive in the same shape as when they left the factory. Many thanks to Josh, who has been working exceptionally hard to develop the packaging regimen and who is personally packing each kit to make sure it's as perfect as possible.

(https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23376153_10211698328147486_4343321570539617591_n.jpg?oh=1923ce0ea877e520a0ecc9fbc6954738&oe=5A65F8D3)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline adeep42

Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 03:48:23 PM
You all are doing an amazing job. Now I feel even worse about not ordering, even though I have no reason ton too.

Alan

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:17 PM
The first of these kits should be at or near their destinations. We are anxious to hear how the kits arrived. Do let us know if the fancy shipping boxes did their job.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:44 AM
All of the pre-ordered kits have shipped. We tried to up our game a bit on this one and I would love to see a post from you early adopters about how the kits arrived, and what you think of the package.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Trevor

Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 10:32:47 AM
Picked up my kit today, and everything was in perfect condition.   The packaging was rock solid: the large panels don't appear to have moved at all after traveling halfway across the country. 

Also, the wood Bottlehead-thumbdrive-assembly-manual is a very nice touch! 

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 11:14:36 AM
Thanks Trevor! It's a relief to hear everything arrived in good shape. Josh gets the credit for finding the cool custom engraved wood thumb drives for the manual.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 01:32:15 PM
I had to share the responses we have gotten to the thumb drive image after I posted it on social media -

Now, that is good form!

Sweet nicely done!

Thats sweet!!

Fancy schmancy! Looks good Doc

Nice touch!

Jesus loves you
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:34:11 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.