The Jäger Loudspeaker

Doc B. · 19836

Offline Trevor

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 01:40:03 PM
It IS cool.  And thanks for the blu-ray as well.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 02:11:57 PM
Ah yes, our little thank you to the first five who pre-ordered was a 4K edition blu ray of Pacific Rim. Just in case they didn't get the Kaiju/Jäger reference.  :)

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:20 AM
Do any of the first run participants have more feedback for us? We're getting ready to announce another run and if there is anything we can fine tune we would love to hear about it.

So far the only issue I am aware of is one hole on one panel being machined a millimeter or two too shallow. Seems to have been a random glitch that was easily fixed by the builder with a Dremel tool.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline pjnestor

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
Doc,

I can't believe I'm the first to complete or post about the speakers.  I finished mine the weekend after Thanksgiving and am about 15-20 hours into the break-in period.  But they sound fantastic already.  I was using a 4" fostex full range driver in a back loaded horn, and the Jagers obviously have much greater bass.  They are maybe not quite as sensitive, so i have to turn the volume from 9:00 position to 10 or 11 in order to annoy my wife.  Mids and highs are not as emphasized as with the Fostex, which is better with most music, but just different for some others.  I can't tell much difference is sound stage but am experimenting with placement still.

The kit went together pretty easily.  Instructions as always were excellent.  The instructions/thumb drive was cool.  One of the baffle pieces has a slight curve and took a while to align with the rest of the cabinet, but a few clamps took care of it.

Thanks for a great kit, Doc.

Pat

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 06:55:26 AM
Woo Hoo! Thank you!

That setup looks awesome. I'll take your description that the imaging is close enough to single driver speakers that you haven't noticed much difference as a mark in the plus column. I suggest modeling your room in Room EQ Wizard to determine a sweet spot for the speakers. Even a couple inches one way or another can make a big difference in tonal balance of the bottom end. And, of course, the bass will wake up after 50 or so hours as the woofer suspension breaks in. Drapes over those windows will improve imaging too.

We've heard from several other Jäger owners who are waiting for the holiday break to begin construction. So there should be more feedback/reviews in a few weeks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tim G.

Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 07:09:41 AM
Just a random observation, I've been following the thread watching this all come together and love these speakers.  It wasn't until that last posted picture that I realized how large those speakers are (which is a good thing!).  Going back and looking at the dimensions it makes sense, but the other product shots don't have a reference for scale I guess, I had always pictured them as much smaller towers, now the seem more like a replacement for my very tinkered with S8s.    Maybe just me, either way they look great!

Tim

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:48 AM
Good point, we will add an in-room shot. In the meantime we do have a picture of the speaker next to a Kaiju and BeePre on the Jäger web page, and cabinet dimensions in the specifications.

Edit - a few in-room photos have been added to the Jäger web page (scroll down)-

https://bottlehead.com/product/jager-speaker-kit/
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:24:19 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 01:06:01 PM
I like what you did with the finish.  Looks like a stain on the sides, and clear on the front?

I'm actually still waiting for one of my boxes to arrive.  I've got the two boxes for the enclosures, just waiting on the components.  Military mail takes forever around the holidays.

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan

Offline pjnestor

Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 05:57:14 PM
Even though I read the dimensions, I didn't really appreciate the size until I carried them up the stairs.  The finish is "antique american" stain on the base and front, and about 3 coats of ebony stain on the sides and tops.  Then 3 coats of a gloss polyurethane.

Offline wylymon

Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 02:53:12 AM
Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!.

James Wyly

Offline bombay317

Reply #25 on: December 11, 2017, 04:01:06 AM
I am looking forward to the next run of these and am interested to purchase them when they come available.

Niagara 7000
Benchmark DAC3L (XBOX1 and TV)
CA Performance w/ Satisfy Turntable
Talismann V2 CA Cartridge
Tavish Designs Adagio Vacuum Tube Phono
BHSE Amp
Stax SR-009
BeePre 300B w/ BeeQuiet and Cinemag Transformers
Kaiju 300B w/ DC Filament
Jäger Speakers
Transparent and Benchmark Cables

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 04:50:38 AM
The next run may happen very soon.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 09:50:39 AM
The finish is "antique american"

That describes me pretty well, too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline sl-15

Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 02:59:09 PM
Very nice setup and great looking woodwork. What pre amp is sitting on the CD? player? It looks like a Bottlehead but I can't tell which one? Thanks

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa

Offline Rocketman248

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 12:36:58 AM
Just finished up my pair, and currently listening to "Echoes" by Pink Floyd with a big stupid grin on my face.  Even at somewhat reduced volume and just a few minutes of play, they are sounding amazing.  A huge step up from my previous speakers, Tekton Mini-Lores.  Now I'm running a complete Bottlehead setup with an Eros, BeePre w/BeeQuiet, and a Kaiju with DC Filaments.  I can only imagine what adding a second Kaiju would do.

I too was a bit taken aback when I saw the actual size of them.  These things are monsters, and definitely overkill in my small listening room.  But the soundstage and imaging is impressive so far.  I'll keep messing around with placement and toe-in angle, but I'm definitely a happy camper right now. 

Nick DeBrita
Yokosuka, Japan