Where to get teflon tubing?

Jim R. · 2238

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
on: September 07, 2017, 02:58:00 AM
I didn't know where else to post this, but I wonder if anyboddy knows of a good place to buy teflon tubing? I need some of a coupple different sizes (which I have yet to determine), so a vendor with a decent selection of sizes would be great. I say that because I know VH Audio sells some but only 1 size, which is probably too large for most of my needs -- "spaghetti" for my PF caps, and a secondary jacket for some speaker cables I'll eventually make.

Thanks for any leads,

Jim

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 03:22:12 AM
I've seen variety packs at Fry's and Mouser sells rolls in just about any size you need.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:47:56 AM
Thanks much, Paul! I figured you would be the first to reply :-)

BTW, digging up an old "argument", the ifi IEMatch IEM attenuator is just resistors, but also some switching for balanced and unbalanced operation. You called it :-) It wasn't obvious until I actually had one iin my hands. If you're interested, the ifi site has a technical PDF that explains it -- I have terrible options for reading PDFs, so I never read this and have no idea what it really says.

I can tell you that there is one built into my iDSD Black Label DAC/Headphone amp, and it works really well -- quite transparent as well.

-- Jim

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 03:59:14 AM
Despite just being resistors, that's a very useful device!

When working on SEX 3.0 and getting is even quieter for IEMs (even though it's silly to put 2,000mW into IEMs), one idea I suggested was a separate 1/8" jack with exactly that type of resistive padding.

If you need help figuring out Mouser part numbers, let me know. Searching for "PTFE tubing" will get you what you need.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 04:08:51 AM
Thanks for the Mouser tip.

Yeah, the iDSD can put out 8000mW and actually has two settings -- sensitive and ultra sensitive, plus a 3-way switch to select max power, so... "eco" mode and "ultra sensitive" is fine with 113dB IEMs.

I am also considering a 1/8 "sister" jack on my s.e.x 2.1 so I can use the IEMatch without an adaptor. Somebody just gave me this thing, so I didn't even have to consider whether to buy it or not -- glad I have it for the other two headphone amps here.

Talk to you later,

Jim

Offline mpeg2

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 06:54:14 AM
Another good resource for materials is Mcmaster Carr. For teflon tubing:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing-(made-with-teflon-ptfe)/=19a5it8

Rich

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 07:09:42 AM
Thanks Rich!

I usually don't even bother to look at MCM or Grainger as their web interfaces are extremely difficult for me to navigate and the checkout screens don't work at all for me 90% of the time -- using a screen reader, VoiceOver, to access my various computing devices.

I will probably go with one of PBs original suggestions, especially since I know that the Mouser online catalog does work for me, and I need a few other things as well.

Thanks again,

Jim