Power supply for the Quickie 1.1?

mikejennens · 1989

Offline mikejennens

on: September 16, 2017, 10:01:21 AM
Rather than using four 9-volt batteries, would this power supply work well? Qualtek QPDF-320-36 Switching Power Supply 36 VDC 8.8A 320W Single Output, Parts Express part number 129-148

Also, can the filament voltage be run off a 5-volt DC supply, such as a USB charger?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:23:25 AM
Rather than using four 9-volt batteries, would this power supply work well? Qualtek QPDF-320-36 Switching Power Supply 36 VDC 8.8A 320W Single Output, Parts Express part number 129-148
No, that would be a poor choice.  That power supply is very likely to be quite noisy (notice that it's shielded inside a metal box), and the Quickie doesn't need nearly 8A of current.  A lot of these supplies aren't particularly happy when they aren't loaded down. When looking at the supply closer, the specified noise is less than 200mA, and that's really pretty terrible.  For a reference, my test equipment will measure noise down around 0.070mV and I can't really see much of anything coming off a 9V battery. 
Also, can the filament voltage be run off a 5-volt DC supply, such as a USB charger?
The filament voltage for the 3S4 as designed in the Quickie is 1.5V.  USB chargers are also generally very noisy devices and the filament will be very sensitive to a poor quality filament supply.

$20 will buy you 20 alkaline 9V batteries (never buy "heavy duty" batteries), and that will get you five sets of batteries, or 500 hours of listening time. 
Alkaline D-cell batteries are about $1.50 if you are willing to buy 10-12 at a time. 

If you need a tube preamp with a power cord, the Smash fits the bill nicely and has a linear filament supply with a voltage/current regulator specifically setup for the 4P1L tube.

-PB
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:33:49 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mikejennens

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 12:04:47 PM
Thank you. If I go with Quickie, I'll stick with batteries. How do you you suppose this would work with an AudioSector LM3875 power amp? I'm not sure that amp even needs a pre-amp, so I don't know if this will give me any improvement in sound quality. Any comment/advice?
Mike

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 03:21:14 PM
Sure, it will work quite well. Just be sure to switch the Quickie on first, as the Lm3875 will have at least 20dB of gain, so a turn on thump will be well amplified.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 10:12:59 AM
hi,

i ve built both, the quickie and the audio sector. they work well together. and doc is right. switch the quickie on first and off last.

enjoy

michael

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles