PJCCS Shinkoh Tantalum

StevePL · 2955

Offline StevePL

on: October 06, 2017, 10:54:28 AM
So I've been thoroughly enjoying my Quickie/Quicksand combo for a while now. The sound from the Fii0 X5ii through the Blumenstein Orcas, Blue Jeans cables everywhere is truly remarkable for the budget I have.
I got the itch so have tweaked the Quickie. Having read through all the modifications I settled upon a few that seem to be highly rated.
The PJCCS was added ages ago and all has been well.
I recently installed some Clarity MR 630 2.2uF caps (got them ages ago on sale) they are still breaking in and have been a bit all over the place for the last 30-40 hours but they are better than stock and I'm sure that once fully broken in will be glorious. Things worked as before, just sounded better.
I just installed some Shinkoh Tantalum 3K9 1/2 watt resistors on the PJCCS and things aren't right. The volume is the issue. On a scale of 1-10 the Quickie used to live in the 3-4 range for very happy listening levels. Now for the same listening levels I have to have it in the 8-9 range.

Here's the voltage checks

IA/IB   31.5
A6/B6   30.1
A5/B5   2.7

The 9v are rechargeable and I'm recharging them now. They were fine before the resistor swap.
The 1.5v are brand new from a good batch.

What should I do, reinstall the old resistors?

I've got an Audio Note pot to install and some Blackgate 220uf 4v capacitors to go in there but as I've read on this forum over and over "install one modification at a time".
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:43:46 AM by StevePL »

Crack Speedball, HD600, HD 25 300ohm.
Audirvana +, Schiit Modi Multibit, Smash-Smash Up Clarity MR, Rotel 956 bridged 2x Mono, Revel Performa F30.
Fiio X5ii, Quickie, Quicksand, Blumenstein Orca

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 11:51:10 AM
Yes, I would put the old resistors back.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline StevePL

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 04:42:12 PM
Swapped the originals back in and all is good.

Audirvana +, Schiit Modi Multibit, Smash-Smash Up Clarity MR, Rotel 956 bridged 2x Mono, Revel Performa F30.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 04:51:51 PM
So, the Shinkoh resistors were either not the right value, or not successfully soldered to the right places.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 07:16:27 PM
What does your meter say they are? 3.9 ohms by chance?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline StevePL

Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 05:32:36 AM
The resistors read 3.9K ohm not 3.9 ohm

I swapped the 4k resistors in the D2 holes. I read the Quickie mods board wrong. It says to replace the 470 ohm resistors not the 4K. Next time I order stuff I'll get the replacement for the 470 ohm resistors.

The 470 Ohm resistor in the PJCCS is the one to upgrade.

The 4K resistor used as a plate load in the stock kit would be an upgrade candidate, but it does not serve the same function in the PJCCS.

-PB

The good thing is that you guys all ways say start with the stock product and change one part at a time. I heeded that advice and avoided a bad situation. It would have been a headache if I swapped out the pot at the same time as the resistors.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 05:41:13 AM
Yeah, it's always tough when the mods are done from the start, then you have to pluck them all out to figure out what went wrong.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline aragorn723

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 12:51:59 PM
So I've been thoroughly enjoying my Quickie/Quicksand combo for a while now. The sound from the Fii0 X5ii through the Blumenstein Orcas, Blue Jeans cables everywhere is truly remarkable for the budget I have.

I got the itch so have tweaked the Quickie. Having read through all the modifications I settled upon a few that seem to be highly rated.
The PJCCS was added ages ago and all has been well.
I recently installed some Clarity MR 630 2.2uF caps (got them ages ago on sale) they are still breaking in and have been a bit all over the place for the last 30-40 hours but they are better than stock and I'm sure that once fully broken in will be glorious. Things worked as before, just sounded better.
I just installed some Shinkoh Tantalum 3K9 1/2 watt resistors on the PJCCS and things aren't right. The volume is the issue. On a scale of 1-10 the Quickie used to live in the 3-4 range for very happy listening levels. Now for the same listening levels I have to have it in the 8-9 range.

Here's the voltage checks

IA/IB   31.5
A6/B6   30.1
A5/B5   2.7

The 9v are rechargeable and I'm recharging them now. They were fine before the resistor swap.
The 1.5v are brand new from a good batch.

What should I do, reinstall the old resistors?

I've got an Audio Note pot to install and some Blackgate 220uf 4v capacitors to go in there but as I've read on this forum over and over "install one modification at a time".

Which Audio Note pot did you select?  I have been toying with swapping out the pot and wonder which Audio Note pot would be a significant improvement over stock. 

Curious about the pjccs change too, I haven't heard of anyone swapping out resistors on that board.  What is the benefit supposed to be?

Btw, those Black Gates add a nice level of detail to the treble.  I think you'll enjoy it :)

Dave

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 06:38:04 PM
In October, I posted "So, the Shinkoh resistors were either not the right value, or not successfully soldered to the right places." You say the resistors measure 3.9K, which is the right value, so there may be a soldering problem.

Paul Joppa