Images in posts must be attachments, not links

Doc B. · 8093

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
on: November 16, 2017, 01:07:02 PM
Hi Folks,

Once again we have experienced the site bogging down from a member opening posts from several years ago in which there are bad image links from Head Fi, that create a loop when our server tries to retrieve them. I have informed Head Fi of the problem, but as of today it still persists. If we allow the problem to continue our server will be shut down, so I have temporarily blocked access to the gallery board where most of the links seem to reside. And I have also temporarily removed the image linking gadget from the reply window. If you wish to post an image you are welcome to post it as an attachment. There is a width limit of 1024 pixels, so you will need to size your image accordingly. Sorry for this inconvenience. If we can find some resolution with Head Fi we will lift the restriction.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:24:34 PM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline troplin

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:27:39 AM
To me as a software developer this looks like a problem with your forum/server software, not with Head Fi.
Sure, it would be nice if the link still worked, but bad links are almost unavoidable and all software should be able to cope with this gracefully.

Tobias

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:08:02 AM
It's only happening with old Head-Fi image links and only since Head-Fi updated their forum a few weeks ago. I appreciate your opinion, and will send it on to the IT guys I am working with.

I've lifted the image width restriction on attachments as it looks like most browsers are properly resizing images. Should be easier to attach an image now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 05:12:41 AM by Doc B. »

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline troplin

Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 01:53:33 AM
It's only happening with old Head-Fi image links and only since Head-Fi updated their forum a few weeks ago.

I didn't mean to imply that there's no problem on the Head-Fi side, it's quite possible that there is. And if there is, they should be grateful that you told them about it so they can fix it.
But we're talking about the internet here and you cannot just assume that all involved participants behave nicely.

It's a bit like when leave your bike unattended and unlocked, and it gets stolen. It's not exactly your fault, but there's no point in trying to convince all thieves not to steal your bike. Instead you go and buy a lock.

Tobias

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:58:32 AM
I thank you for your analogy. My IT guy has been making good headway on this issue and I have confidence that we will get things smoothed out.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Tubegopher

• Don Palmer
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 10:54:24 AM
Hi Doc. I was looking in the general category to see if you have anything with pictures of your radio collection. You mentioned that you used to have a collection of old radios.  I wonder if you would have any problem with me sending attachments of just a few of my favorite radios that I own. I think you would like them!
Best,
Tubegopher
Don Palmer

300B amps with 6SJ7 in Triode mode, dc fil. volt. for 300Bs. BeePre with Bill Milosz built Eros Phono. Teres Turntable, Pete Riggle "12 inch Woody Tonearm" Grace F9  with Soundsmith ruby cantilever stylus.Cambridge Audio CD with MHDT Labs Orchid DAC Rega NAOS Spkrs, Atelier Rullit super tweeters