S.E.X. 2.0 power supply

vetmed · 1991

Offline vetmed

on: December 04, 2017, 05:03:28 AM
This is the one that uses aWE power supply, with 2 HV windings and a voltage doubler for each channel. One of the electrolytics went up in smoke yesterday. There are 2 per channel, should I replace all of them or just the one that blew?
Thanks

Robert Lees

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 05:18:18 AM
Which electrolytic went out on you?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline vetmed

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 06:40:22 AM
One of the ones in the voltage doubler.

Robert Lees

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 06:59:51 AM
I would go ahead and start by replacing the blown one, then do voltage checks.  If everything checks out OK, then consider doing the rest.

The 220uF/250V Panasonic TS snap in caps are NLA, so I'd snag some of the venerable Panasonic ED leaded radial caps here.  There's a matching 47uF/450V cap that you might want to grab a pair of also, just in case here.

The real question is why one of the doubler caps went out in the first place.  That may not be answerable without replacing the blown cap and measuring voltages.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:10 AM
Had the amp been sitting unused for a long time, or was it in service when the cap went?

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline vetmed

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 08:14:15 PM
Well in all fairness these are old and the amp had not been powered up in at least 6 months ??? Just thinking that i would probably save myself a lot of grief by replacing all the caps at one go. Not concerned about cost just want to put off future problems as long as possible :)

Robert Lees

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 05:20:57 AM
Six months is not a big deal. So my hunch would be, as PB suggests -  that something other than the cap itself created the problem. You should probably start by doing the resistance checks.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.