resistance test question

kip.duff · 754

Offline kip.duff

on: December 21, 2017, 11:01:31 AM
I have some "out-of-specs".  300B terminal IDs are mirrored, so:

A1/B4 to ground.  (Is this done with tubes installed?)

*with 300Bs installed: 4.7-5.0 ohms.  *without tubes: moves around, then settles at about 1.1k ohms.

A4/B1 to ground: 4.2 ohms with 300Bs. (manual says 5-6 ohms)

Also, had OL at most PT-7 mount screw terminals.  Powder coated transformer tops- figured star washers would make ground (not).  Need to grind away areas on bells under mounting screw heads.  At least I know what's up there.

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:15:34 AM
A4/B1 goes to ground through the big bias resistors. This resistance is best measured without 300Bs in the sockets, as the 10,000uF caps can cause meter measuring issues. A1/B4 connect to the filament supply output, and you'll have a tough time getting much of a reading without a 300B installed.

I wouldn't be top worried if you're off by an ohm or two on these.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kip.duff

Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 05:38:13 AM
A4/B1 goes to ground through the big bias resistors. This resistance is best measured without 300Bs in the sockets, as the 10,000uF caps can cause meter measuring issues. A1/B4 connect to the filament supply output, and you'll have a tough time getting much of a reading without a 300B installed.

I wouldn't be top worried if you're off by an ohm or two on these.

Your response agrees with my findings- my measurements are good when I use your instructions.  Page 60 in the manual was misleading for me: it instructs to measure resistance at A4/B1 with 300B in socket.  It does not specify whether or not to install tube when measuring at A1/B4- so it’s reasonable to assume that the tube is supposed to be left out.  This is what led to me starting this thread- measurements I got where incorrect without tubes installed and I was worried. 

After reading other threads, it appeared A1/B4 were to be measured with tubes in place which meant my resistance tests were OK- so I felt OK with doing voltage tests.  Voltage tests were good except for deviation due to testing with an RCA NOS 6A3.  Measurements at 1 and 16 were 4.0V instead of 5.0V, with 5.93V measured across filament supply circuits.  Based on info from you guys in these threads, I believe 5.93V is OK, so I’m on to installing the Beequiet parts 😊. I was cautioned by Doc about plate voltage for non- 300B tubes: looks groovy at 99 and 98 VDC with mains voltage at 122.

Dr. Feickert Blackbird II w Reed 2A tonearm and Lyra Skala cartridge.  Eros 2.  Audio Note DAC 2.1 Signature.  BeePre with BeeQuiet and Paramount 1.1 monoblocs into A7 VOTTs or Nagoaka folded horns.