Planar 3

Karl5150 · 3869

Offline Karl5150

on: January 05, 2018, 04:02:12 AM
With the SR board added to my SII and the early Eros trouble sorted I treated myself to an upgrade on the front end: A new Planar 3. (Feeling the need to help both the local and the UK's economies, I purchased it at a brick and mortar store.) 
The shop was nice enough to include mounting and aligning my existing Ortofon 2m Blue with 2mm shims on the tonearm base to correct the VTA.
When I got it hooked up I found that while it opened up more of what is in the grooves (hearing the zils on Roger Daltrey's tambourine actually startled me a bit) there was a disconnect between my OBs and the subs: some missing mid-bass. I replaced the 2mm shims with a 3mm set and ta-da, top to bottom, smooth and coherent.
The extra height did not allow the dust cover to sit flat without pushing down on the counter weight, so in true DIY fashion I purchased an acrylic sheet and made my own.
I believe I am now hearing what the Eros and Stereomour II are capable of. Thanks again Doc and crew.
 Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline faskenite

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:01:00 AM
The Planar 3 is a great arm/table combination and still one of the best values in audio.  It can be endlessly tricked out too, with aftermarket subplatters, double belt pulleys and counterweights.  Rega frowns on these but folks can of course make up their own minds.  In my experience a well made subplatter upgrade offers significant added value for the buck.

Offline Karl5150

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:56:45 AM
Right you are "faskenite". I pulled the GrooveTracer Reference and zirconia ball out of my RP1, cleaned them and the redesigned bearing well in the P3, added a couple drops of oil and let it slip slowly into place. A white belt and the Neo PS are likely in the future.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline robertod

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 05:01:58 AM
Have you tried or considered re-wiring the the tone arm in the Rega Planar 3?  Maybe the incognito kit.

Thanks

Rega P6
George Wright Sound WPL20 preamp with phono
George Wright Sound 2A3 Mono Blocks 3.5 watts
Audio Note M-1 Phono Pre-Amplifier
Jager Speakers