Sennheiser HD600 Crack Cord

Baskevyl · 3477

Offline Baskevyl

on: January 23, 2018, 05:05:02 PM
I just finished assembling my Crack 1.1 OTL and am looking for a solid cord with a 1/4" jack (or any good cord that'll take a 1/4" adapter). Anyone have some particular recommendations? I've been told and seen elsewhere that the cord shouldn't have any discernible impact on quality of sound, but I wouldn't mind hearing other informative voices.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:06:35 PM by Baskevyl »

Mikhail Kostiouk

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 09:51:32 PM
I just finished assembling my Crack 1.1 OTL and am looking for a solid cord with a 1/4" jack (or any good cord that'll take a 1/4" adapter). Anyone have some particular recommendations? I've been told and seen elsewhere that the cord shouldn't have any discernible impact on quality of sound, but I wouldn't mind hearing other informative voices.

fwiw the hd600 cable is pretty good and I feel the sonic gains would be far greater if putting the money towrds upgrading the Crack or using premium tubes.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Deluk

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 03:04:52 AM
The HD650 cord is considered by many, inc me, to be a small upgrade to the HD600 cord. It is a 1/4" jack type and is inexpensive.

Offline ALL212

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 03:37:07 AM
Build your own...  If you can build a crack you can make your own cable.  Last one I put together was round $75 in parts - it all depends on what you put on the ends and I think it's a major improvement over the stock cord from any model short of the HD800 which has completely different ends.

I would consider using any Sennheiser cord a detriment although the one that came with my HD6xx from Massdrop was decent. 

If you want more info let me know and I'll post the recipe here.

Aaron Luebke

Offline Baskevyl

Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 07:31:11 AM
Thank you all for the advice, guess a stock cord it will be then.

Build your own...  If you can build a crack you can make your own cable.  Last one I put together was round $75 in parts - it all depends on what you put on the ends and I think it's a major improvement over the stock cord from any model short of the HD800 which has completely different ends.

I would consider using any Sennheiser cord a detriment although the one that came with my HD6xx from Massdrop was decent. 

If you want more info let me know and I'll post the recipe here.

If you wouldn't mind sharing, that'd be very appreciated. Definitely sounds like a future project I'd enjoy doing.

Mikhail Kostiouk

Offline ALL212

Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:31:33 AM
Just did one and did a fairly good job of documenting it...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180311/hd650-600-cable-build-the-halo-silver-edition/p1

Here's an earlier one:
http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/146855/diy-sennheiser-hd650-cable-build

Sennheiser 600's and 650's and the Massdrop 6xx's are all the same ends.  Cardas makes a cheaper end than Furutech but it's a bit awkward to work with.  I personally like the Furutech 1/4 inch plugs as well - they have a couple different versions.  Make sure you buy the stereo, not mono 1/4 inch plugs. 

I think I bought my last Mogami cable from Redco Audio.

The biggest challenge is to not forget to put your components on the cable before you solder ends on...

Oh - and on that forum - most of us there have known each other for some time so please forgive or don't take the commentaries as insulting.  They are insulting - it's just not personal   ::)

Aaron Luebke

Offline Baskevyl

Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:41:37 PM
Final product looks pretty styling and the pictures are great for guidance. Thanks for the links, hopefully when I get time again I'll order some parts and get to making my own.

Mikhail Kostiouk

Offline Kitchener

• I made something!
Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:32 PM
Just did one and did a fairly good job of documenting it...

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/180311/hd650-600-cable-build-the-halo-silver-edition/p1

This is a really good guide, nice documentation of the steps along the way.

I've finished a couple of cables myself now (you helped me out over here: https://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=10482.0), they turned out okay I think.

Made two with some microphone cable:
Interconnects
I'm really not pleased with these though, I made them too short after the split so I couldn't get any shrink tubing on them, looks kind of rubbish
Sennheiser cable
Okay, I think, wish I had cotton sleeving big enough for the mic cable, though

And two with some braided stranded wire:
Interconnects with cotton sleeving
I like the look of these, made a matching set of Sennheiser cables but I'm waiting for the right plugs

My point is that cables are easy, they don't have to look good (look at mine for christ's sake) go for it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:25:24 PM by Kitchener »

Modded, Speedballed Crack + Sennheiser HD6XX
STAX SRM-353X + SR-L500
STAX SRM-313 + SR-L300
-Jørgen E. J.