Problem Seduction pre-amp_radio station in background

choff · 12046

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #45 on: February 02, 2018, 11:10:30 AM
Yes, that is the terminal. Make sure the nut and screw are good and tight. Your amp will be much safer with that connection even if it doesn't completely solve your noise problems. But it may very well help.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline choff

Reply #46 on: February 02, 2018, 11:13:45 AM
Awesome....will do and let you know.  Thanks Doc!!

Offline choff

Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:23 AM
Well.....no luck.  Made the green wire ground connection and with high hopes fired everything back up.  Radio signal remains unchanged. :(

I also measured the resistance between the Foreplay and the Dynaco.  This was exactly the same as between Seduction and Foreplay as well as terminals 13 and 14 on the Foreplay.  Meter beeps with 0.00 reading and then climbs to 0.5 and settles on that number.

Lastly, I hooked the Dynaco up to another outlet on a different circuit using a heavy duty extension cord thinking this may determine if the dedicated outlet had a grounding problem as some had thought possible. Fired it all back up and everything remained unchanged, including the voltimeter readings. 

I'm obviously disappointed the fix was not obtained, but still determined to do what I can if there are any next steps you all can suggest?  Appreciate the continued support and guidance with this problem.

Offline choff

Reply #48 on: February 04, 2018, 02:19:04 AM
Update : on a whim I took the rca cables running from Seduction to Foreplay out and put them back in, reversing the orientation of both lead ends.   This nearly eliminated the radio signal!!  No idea why?  The more I mess around with those cables the more it seems like they might be the source of the problem.  Perhaps picking up the radio signal like an antenna?  Going to try and borrow some more cables from a friend to continue experimenting.

Note :  looked up the radio station I am receiving and it is broadcast from a tower on a huge skyscraper about a 1/4 mile from my house.  I can see the building from my back window.  I'm clearly getting blasted by it's signal and not surprising that this is causing issues.   

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 05:47:31 AM
That is why I was asking if the interconnects had the shield connected at only one end. You have moved that end of the shield to the most optimal ground point.

Sometimes it may feel like we are barraging a person who asks for tech support with questions. It can helpful to go back in a thread and check to see if there are questions about the configuration that we asked which may have been missed. They might lead to more things to try to solve the problem. Tech support by the forum can be a cumbersome process, but it puts more than one brain on the problem.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline choff

Reply #50 on: February 04, 2018, 06:34:55 AM
Thanks Doc.  I have to admit I didn't really understand what you were referring to when you suggested that earlier in the thread.  I should have just asked for clarification, but probably didn't want to show my ignorance. 

Anyhow, I would be nowhere had I not had this forum and you all to provide guidance to resolve the issue.  Plus I was able to make my Dynaco safer in the process!!  Listening to a record now and all is well.  This hobby sure can be frustrating, but is whole heck of a lot of fun when you get to the positive end result.  Can't wait to have time to eventually upgrade and build another Bottlehead product in the future. 

Thank you again...cheers!!