New life for my 5 year old Quickie

Zimmer64 · 2104

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:43 AM
Hi there,

I built my Quickie in late 2012 and modified it the following year by adding Clarity caps, Alps pot, Telefunken and Mullard tubes. After a while it went into a cabinet in the basement as I had build more stuff over time (you know how this goes... so many things to build...  :-).

I also had a TPA3122D2 based T-amp lying around, that was not used either. Additionally, the wife started nagging about all that "stuff" in the house, which was not used and if I could give it away.....

Instead of complying with my beloved wife's request, I did the opposite and...... , yes, built more stuff! As I needed a pair of speakers in order to make it a complete system (you have to know, that we already have 5 other systems in use around the house.....:-), I build myself a knock off of the Blumenstein Orca's. Also in Bamboo ply and the reflex port also done in Bamboo.

Straight out of the box I like sound. Guess they will even improve after breaking in. Will also try other amps with them (I still have a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry Amp lying around in one of the other cupboards.....).

I love my wife. She is very forgiving :-)

All the best

Michael
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:14:54 AM by Zimmer64 »

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:04 AM
Great idea the speakers look fab

Nice work.

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:57:21 AM
If your wife is cool with the car battery on the floor (of the bathroom?) you're certainly a lucky guy! I bet that amp can really work its magic with that kind of oomph behind it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Zimmer64

• Blog
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 02:23:30 AM
If your wife is cool with the car battery on the floor (of the bathroom?) you're certainly a lucky guy! I bet that amp can really work its magic with that kind of oomph behind it.

LOL

I guess the toilet in the background gave it away :-)
Luckily, I have my own bathroom and she has hers. And yes, the car battery provides ample power.

Nelson Pass F5 Turbo V2, Quickie (mod), S.E.X. 2.1, Tubes4hifi SP14, Dynaco VTA ST 70, Tubelab SSE, Vroemen Diva Superiore ER4, Jordan JX92S VTL, 47 labs 0647 CD, Aqvox DAC, Rowen Absolute pre / psu / power amps, BG Neo3 / Betsy / Eminence A15 open baffles