resistors

ToneDeaf · 1004

Offline ToneDeaf

on: March 22, 2018, 08:08:31 AM
My kit arrived Tuesday. All parts checked out. The 49.9 ohm resistors were incorrect. I got the same e-mail I suppose everyone got.
Is a reply to that e-mail sufficient to let Josh know?

Offline adydula

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:18:43 AM
Hello,

I would send replacemet parts email an email just in case..

I also found I was missing 4 of the 8/32 x 3/8" mounting screws...used for mounting the power supply board to the standoffs.

I was missing 2 of the star lockwashers used under the bell housing of the power transformer.

I was missing (1) on the smaller #6 fiber shoulder washers used to help mount and isolate the smaller OT3 transformers.

I sent Josh a note this am and he replied that the resistors are on order and will be sent to us ASAP when they get them in.

I dont know when this will be? Hopefully in the next week.

Just powered up the main supply and it looks good. on to the remaining wiring, and when those resistors arrive we should be good to go!!

Enjoy your build!
Alex

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:51 AM
Alex,
    Will do. I'm in no hurry. I'm painting the plate, and it's been raining here in sunny California, so it's humid in my shop, and I want to make sure it dries real well. And I still have to do the base.So it will be a while until I actually start the build. However, I did get all the parts on the bill of materials. So I'm really happy about that. Keep us updated on your build. It will be helpful for the rest of us. Thank You.

Tony

Offline adydula

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 11:03:19 AM
Tony,

Southern Cal ! Kool...I am in Raleigh, North Carolina and its spring here, but it snowed here yesterday!! Mostly cosmetic, nothing sticking, but in NC in the spring all kinds of weather abounds!
It actually thundered the other night in front of this wierd snow stuff....

Just finished up the input wiring....be careful and read the instructions about cutting the vairous lengths of wire, the instructions are very good an detailed, and the measurements seem to be spot on.

I have a wide screen monitor and have the manual open on one side and the labeled pix on the other side so I can see where stuff is etc....also the completed pix on page 71 is a great reference.

I am not painting my top plate, I like the brushed look, but painted the top of the bell housing a nice gloss black....

The base I glued with some new Gorilla Clear all purpose glue and its great.

The base has two coats of tung oil, started with 220 grit then 320, then applied the oil, waited 24hrs then sanded with 0000 fine steel wool and applied the second coat....real easy compared to staining etc
I found that after I soldered up the (4) pc boards, I left them and re-looked at them the next day when my 68 yr old eyes were "fresh" that I could better chcek for any errors.

I did find one misplaced resistor!! Solder wick and an easy fix.. BE careful with the parts on the C4S boards, the A + B sides can be confusing....there are 2 100K resistors, one 2W and one 3W..easy to mix up.

Also when you get to the first power supply test, remember to install the fuse !!!! Ha or no juice!! LOL.

Ok time for supper here and a break...

Alex
:>)

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 06:17:42 PM
   Good to know all this. I will keep it all in mind. I hear you about the eyes , I'll be 68 this summer.
   I glued up the base today. I was going to stain it, and finish with polyurethane, but now that you mention it, tung oil  sound easier. Did the oil darken the wood a little, or bring out the grain any?

Tony

Offline adydula

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 02:58:32 AM
Tony,

Heres a few pix of the Tung Oil (Formby's High Gloss, a small pint can size) two coats, going tp go to 4-5 coats.

The alder in the kit is "blonde" and light for sure..but it does darken the wood a good amount.

Compared to the dark walnut minwax stain on the Crack its lighter for sure.

Its all a matter of taste and what you desire, and can do with your painting skills.

The tung oil is really very very easy to do...

Alex

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 05:36:47 AM
If you want a clear finish and want to richen the look and pop the grain, use an oil base finish. If you want the finish as light as possible, use a water base clear.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 06:33:57 AM
The oil does pop the grain nicely. Thank you Alex, and Doc. Decisions, decisions?                     
 My power cord kit was just shipped, and Josh said he packed the two resistors in with it. Great service.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:36:06 AM by ToneDeaf »

Offline adydula

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 11:53:31 AM
I put the third coat of tung oil on today.

Looks a lot like a light Maple color...like our kitchen Maple cabinets...

Finished the fine and coarse resistor switch stuff and a lot of the wiring...a long day....lol

Have about two more days to complete, just about the right time for those resistors to arrive.

I got a tracking mumber, there on their way!

Slow but sure!

Alex