Would running the Submissive between the Reduction and Seductor be ideal?

qxb · 3899

Offline qxb

Hi, the phono cartridge on my turntable has an output of 5mV, paired with the Reduction’s 36dB of gain it should be enough to drive the Seductor amp as the input sensitivity is 0.9V for 3.5W output. What concerns me though is the matching of impedance. On the Reduction’s webpage under the “MORE” tab it says it’s designed to operate with a line stage of at least 50k ohms input impedance. The Submissive has an input impedance that varies from 20k to 40k ohms so it falls a bit short. On the other end the Submissive has an output impedance that ranges from 140 ohms to 10k ohms, that for best results the load(amplifier) should be at least three times the 10k ohms output impedance. With the input impedance of the Seductor being 249k ohms it would be fine on that end.

I guess to summarize would this system I have in mind perform as well as doing it the conventional way with Reduction, Smash, and Seductor as the chain of components?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
The impedance won't be a problem - we have used Seduction (previous version of Reduction) with as little as 15K ohms load, with no audible issues.

But I am concerned that you might not have enough gain, especially for records that are quieter than usual.

Paul Joppa

Offline qxb

Thanks for the reply! Do you believe adding the Integration Upgrade to the Reduction would be enough gain? I like the look and specs of the Eros, but I think it would be a little overkill.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
It's hard to make a judgement - the Integration would add about 4dB; Eros has 10dB greater gain.

A lot depends on your specific situation. Can you provide at least some of the following information?

* Speaker sensitivity

* Listening room size

* Listening room acoustic absorption (carpets, stuffed furniture, concrete vs wooden floors, etc)

* Type of music (string quartets / symphonic / heavy metal)

* Preferred loudness levels

Hopefully, some Forum members will chime in with personal experiences on this!

Paul Joppa