Advice on Beepre

Alby0521 · 1749

Offline Alby0521

on: March 04, 2018, 11:02:19 AM
Hi All,

I'm considering Beepree to substitute my actual pre amp.

At the moment I run from tt (DL103R) to a passive step up into a Project phono box RS (into mm mode) to Stereomour II upgraded.
I would substitute the Project pre amp (which by the way is an excellent piece) with the Beepre.

I'm looking for more weigh and warmth in the sound.

Speaker wise I have a pair of Klipshorn 1971 with A crossover (the simplest one)
I'm wondering if any of you have experience of matching Stereomour II with the Beepre.

Any comment or advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

AB
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:19:05 AM by Alby0521 »

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:11:05 PM
The BeePre is a line stage. You would need a phono stage, so Bottlehead options would be either the Eros or Reduction.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline johnsonad

Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 12:35:33 PM
In other words,it wouldn’t work in the way you want it too.

Aaron Johnson

Offline kgoss

Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 02:11:31 PM
You could use the Bee Pre as a preamp but the chain would be: TT to step up to phono preamp to Bee Pre to Stereomour. You would use the volume control on the Bee Pre rather than the Stereomour. Also source selection would be from the Bee Pre.
As for the sonic difference someone else needs to answer that question. I have read posts from members who have added a preamp in front of their Stereomour so you won’t be the first.

Ken Goss

Offline Alby0521

Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 03:06:32 PM
Very clear! Thanks all.

Offline Alby0521

Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 08:06:46 PM
So I may consider getting the Eros and the Beepre replacing my current phononpre and pre amp (schiit saga).
Any comparison made with ss phono pre (particularly project phononpre)?

Is there anyone that is running a system similar to this ( Eros to Beepre to Stereomour II)?

Also is there a possibility to add remote controlled volume to the Beepre or a line remote control?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:38:00 PM
Well I do not own a Stereomour II but I do own the Eros and BeePre.  My amps are Quicksilver V4 monoblocks so it is a completely different type of amp,  However, the change I made was from a Foreplay II preamp and Seduction phono preamp.  I liked this setup a lot until I switched to the Eros/BeePre setup.  Both added a level of detail that was truly a huge step up.  There is now clarity in the music I never knews existed.  Lp's sound so much better with this setup which I did not think was possible.  I can now say that my Analog setup out does most Digital setups (CD and SACD) that I have heard unless I wanted to spend obscene amounts of money on DACS and CD PLayers (which I don't and won't)

Another interesting point is you can make upgrades to both of these units.  As an example, I changed some of the capacitors on both units which has really helped the bass and made the soundstage even better.  I highly recommend this combination, over the yearss I have been to a few audio conventions and I must say this Bottlehead equipment competes well with equipment that is 5 - 10 times the cost of the BeePre and the Eros. 

I hope this helps a little.  Good luck.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline jjvornov

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 04:37:15 AM
I run an Eros and BeePre into a FirstWatt F3 which is one of Nelson Pass' use of JFETs in a tube like amp topology. I have a Stereomour II that sits on my work desk for near field listening. When I was working on my BeePre recently, I swapped the Stereomour II into use with the Eros, but I've never thought about using BeePree and the Stereomour instead of the FirstWatt.

As others have said, the BeePre is remarkable in it's sense of space and dynamics. Maybe I'll try Eros-BeePre-Stereomour soon, but I'm thinking about the Kaiju as a future project since I'd like to have the extra power for my Zu Audio Soul Supremes. The Stereomour will drive them to fine volume, as will a 1 Watt microZOTL, but I'm very happy with the current system.

Offline jjvornov

Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 06:29:13 AM
Well, since I have the Eros, BeePre and Stereomour II, I thought I might as well have a listen to a full Bottlehead pre plus amp system. I simply fed the output of the BeePre to the Stereomour with the volume pot on the Stereomour wide open, controlling volume with the BeePre.

The combo definitely produced more volume and impact than the Steromour by itself. It's a really nice combination, with a really deep, broad soundstage and tons of detail in the music. I'd say there was a bit less control than with my FirstWatt, but a bigger sound. I didn't spend much time playing with optimizing the two volume controls as I was able to get to 1/2 way up on the BeePre volume at solid listening levels. Some of this may be speaker dependent, as the Zu is pretty efficient, but my feeling is that it likes a little more power with full scale music. I was listening to Ryan Adam's self titled solo album which varies between acoustic and full band.

I'd endorse the combination, with some thought to speaker matching for the power output of the 2A3s.

James

Offline Alby0521

Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 06:54:29 PM
Thank you all for the comments.
Finally I did order the Beepre and Eros. I’ll update in a couple of months how it goes!!!

Best

AB

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 07:26:09 PM
Thanks for your order!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.