Output taps Paramour

emu-72 · 2229

Offline emu-72

on: February 28, 2018, 09:38:08 AM
Apologies for what might be a dumb question, but here goes.
I own but did not build a pair of 2A3 Paramour monoblocks.
I understand they have 4 and 8 ohm output taps.  I have new 8 ohm speakers.
How can I tell how they were orig. built?  If I have to get out a soldering iron I can certainly do that.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 04:34:48 PM
There have been several versions of this circuit, including four different output transformers over the 18 years they have been in production. A photo of the output transformer (or a description) will help identify which you have, and thus enable us to answer your question. The output transformer will be connected to the speaker terminals, if it is not obvious which piece of iron is which.

Paul Joppa

Offline emu-72

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:41 AM
Paul,
Thank you kindly for taking the time to respond.  The orig. kits were purchased new and in stock form from Bottlehead on Feb 9, 2006. 
In the mean time, I'll try to take and post a picture this evening.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 11:51:28 AM
From the date, you probably have the original Paramour; the earliest draft of the Paramour II manual that I have seems to be dated September 2006. There should be a paper manual 5.5" by 8.5" and dated 2000. The output transformer would be labelled "50-130" and the chassis plate would be 6" by 10".

Assuming that description matches what you have, one side of the output transformer will have three wires, labelled C (black wire), 4 ohm (yellow), and 8 ohm (white). The black goes to terminal 22, one of the others goes to terminal 24, and the remaining wire is loose with the end covered by a bit of heat-shrink. Terminal 22 is connected to the black binding post, terminal 24 to the red post. You can swap the yellow and white wires to change the impedance.

There was an iron upgrade kit with different plate chokes and output transformers, so if the above description does not match, better post a picture.

Paul Joppa

Offline emu-72

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:33:37 PM
 Thanks again, Paul, this is very helpful.
 I’m 90% sure that it’s already set up for 8 ohm.
 My disconnected (heat shrunk) wire is gray not yellow.
Pretty clear that white is hooked up to terminal 24
 Here’s a picture if I can figure out how to post...

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 03:30:36 PM
Looks good.

The gray wire might mean we had already changed over to the Speco output transformer - it's been a dozen years, and my memory wasn't that great to begin with! In any case,it was a nice trip down memory lane to figure this out.  :^)

Paul Joppa