Kaiju Monoblocks.. PSE or Push-Pull?

richp4003 · 4734

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: June 13, 2018, 10:35:41 AM
Thank you and to Doc B.. Yes, I did like the sound. The issue I had with it was I felt it could use a bit more drive/punch/quickness? to it. The amplifier was all interstage transformer coupled, and using a basic EH tube. Would the additional power alone in a Kaiju monoblock solve some of this drive and quickness? (I know this is hard to say as there are MANY variables at play here)

Another question: Are the OPTs on Kaiju "special" beyond the 2 ohm tap for bridging.. or could they be replaced/upgraded down the road like something off the shelf from Tango? (realizing it would need 4/8 ohm taps to then make 8/16)

I would conjecture that the active loads, shunt regulation and parallel feed output would contribute to increased drive and punch as much as the extra power would. And yes, the output transformers and plate chokes are special, designed in house by Paul Joppa specifically for this application. My experience with boutique transformers in place of the stock transformers was to go back to stock. I don't know if Tango even make a parallel feed output transformer or plate choke. Very seldom does an off the shelf product outperform a purpose built one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline richp4003

Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
So nice to get such quick and thorough answers! This SET endeavor is very difficult given the stuff isnt just readily available to try, and there are many different paths one can take.

So..another question as I narrow this all down: I came across a Kaiju build thread and it was mentioned the ELROG being a choice tube for this, and reviews of the ELROG (saw one on 6mooms) make it seem like a 45 tube with more power.. with greater immediacy, etc.

Given the cost of the ELROG being more than 50% of another Kaiju.. is the better choice one Kaiju with some ELROGs (or emission labs XLS?) or two Kaijus with "lesser" tubes (EH, Gold lion, etc)?  In terms of getting a bit more of that drive/punch/immediacy of push-pull. (and yes, the "answer" is 2 Kaijus with kick@ss tubes)

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 10:53:53 AM
Kaiju is a parallel feed amp, so there are relatively few appropriate upgrade transformers/plate chokes, fewer that will fit mechanically, and even fewer whose magnetic orientation is suitable. There is one set from Magnequest that would work - I allowed for that particular possibility. That would be the TFA-2004 output transformer (4-8-16 ohms) and EXO-003 plate choke.

For what it's worth, I designed the stock units to have roughly the same performance as those parts; differences are thus somewhat subtle.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 11:24:21 AM
Thank you and to Doc B.. Yes, I did like the sound. The issue I had with it was I felt it could use a bit more drive/punch/quickness? to it. The amplifier was all interstage transformer coupled, and using a basic EH tube. Would the additional power alone in a Kaiju monoblock solve some of this drive and quickness?
There are way too many variables to tell.

Another question: Are the OPTs on Kaiju "special" beyond the 2 ohm tap for bridging.. or could they be replaced/upgraded down the road like something off the shelf from Tango? (realizing it would need 4/8 ohm taps to then make 8/16)
There is no transformer from Tango that is an improvement over what comes in the Kaiju in my opinion.  A big part of the reason for this is the parallel feed topology that we use which splits the role of the traditional gapped output transformer into two different individual pieces.  The Tango FC-40-3.5S (at about $1200/pair) is pretty close as far as gapped transformers go, though it has slightly less inductance than the stock Kaiju setup.  They are also too large for the chassis (another advantage of parallel feed).

Sowter could probably wind you a pair of 75H/70mA chokes, but it's hard to say if they would fit the chassis or not.  They also have some transformers with a mix of GOS and mumetal lams that could be adjusted for the application (right between the 8983 and 8985). None of these parts fit the holes provided in the Kaiju, but they are smaller than the Tango parts and may fit without too many headaches.  This is still $1000+ that may or may not be worth the expenditure. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 11:50:32 AM
What probably matters more than boutique parts is whether the speaker you have chosen is a good match. There is only one way to tell and that is try them together.  Zu have a somewhat different design philosophy than we do, so I can't really offer a very educated guess on how they will match up. My general impression of Zus when I have heard them is that they can sometimes use a little help on the bottom end. I can't say if that is due to their sensitivity to setup as they describe in their ad copy, or a general house sound. We designed our speaker to take advantage of the relatively low damping factor of zero global feedback SE amps and consequently the bass is good with an SE amp. I do not know if the Zu speakers are designed with low amp damping factor as a consideration or not. 

You might get some of the sound changes you are looking for with the existing amps just by experimenting with speaker placement. It's free to try.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline richp4003

Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 12:19:23 PM
More great info here.. honestly, I don't know *too* much about the Kaiju (seems like the other products offered have more "coverage" online) but it seems from what I have read here that its going to take a BIG jump in OPT to make any positive effect, if at all.

As to the Zu: They definitely tend towards lean on the bottom end, and at least with the Druids, that air gap on the bottom has a big effect on the response. I can tell from my Luxman experience vs. the 300B test, that the latter is more suiting the speaker. The Druid is very light on its feet and can really make use of the micro texture and air that 300B provides, and to the detriment of what I do have, it does accentuate that little bit of harshness that push-pull can have. Just for reference, Zu's recommended amps for tubes were both 300B: Audion Silver Night and Melody 300B. From speaking with some other guys that have owned a lot of Zu speakers and many combinations of amplifiers with them, their consensus was that they do will well with 300B power, but seem to do best with the power level of PSET 300B. 45 and 2AC didn't offer enough headroom.

Of course, PSET brings its own issues to the table.. which is why I am very interested in the Kaiju!

I will ask, from an academic perspective and for others who may come across this thread.. how do some of the top tier amplifiers deal with the limitations of PSET? I'm thinking Audionote Japan, for example. These are amplifiers that are basically cost-is-no-object.. so Im a bit curious why they would lean on PSET if it has an Achilles heel.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:40 PM
It would be inappropriate for us to pontificate about someone else's design rationale. What I can share is that we have found paralleling two complete SE amps at the inputs and series wiring the output secondaries seems to give twice the power without the potential headaches like current hogging that can happen with parallel tubes before the output transformers. We have done PSE amps too, with PJ keeping the potential problems in mind when making design decisions. The strapped Kaiju circuit sounded better to me.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Deke609

Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 10:06:51 AM
I miss the drive/punch/bass of the push pull, but as it stands I would take the 300B SET.
This is an old thread, but it may still be of interest to would-be purchasers. I was looking for the same additional umph and punch from my Stereomour II and I got it by adding a Beepre preamp in front. It's a helluva preamp.

cheers,

Derek