Adding a meter to Kaiju

Sp33ls · 1746

Offline Sp33ls

on: April 02, 2018, 01:14:15 PM
Hey all,

I have this meter and I was thinking it'd be really cool to add it to my up and coming Kaiju. Only issue is, I don't know what its exact value is yet >.<

I know that when using my Fluke, it reads 1KOhm, and the gauge reaches 100. However, when when hooking it up to a line-level output, it hardly moves. When hooking it up to an old stereo that's about 20 Watts, I had the volume set to about half way and noticed the gauge needle moving rapidly between 0 and about 30 or 40.

So, I don't think that it'll work well with the actual signal. I was thinking it would be cool to (once identifying how much volts and /or amps is required) have the meter read the power draw of the amp (relative, not necessarily exact).

This is of course more for aesthetics and fun factor of watching the needle increase as the power increases.

Any recommendations on first identifying what this meter's value rating is and also the best locations to attempt the connection?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 01:32:12 PM
Looks like some proprietary meter made by Honeywell for another manufacturer. Typically this kind of meter has the type of units printed above or below the scale - milliamps, volts, VU etc. I'm not familiar with the UP designation and hence I can't guess what the meter is intended to measure. Kind of sounds like it is an ammeter, but I can't say for sure. Maybe someone else here will know. You really need to decide what it is you want to measure first - output power, plate current, signal level, etc. then find a meter designed for the job.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 02:47:57 PM
 If I were willing to buy a meter for the job of output power or plate current, what would you recommend?

Does the SET circuit cause the power supply to fluctuate much? I remember reading somewhere that the power supply for a similar circuit remains relatively constant regardless of the draw. If that's the case, then it'd be rather boring : p

Signal level would also do the trick for me in this instance, but didn't want to touch the signal unless I had to in order to achieve the effect of increasing the gauge's reading when increasing the volume.

Thanks!

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 04:35:57 PM
You're asking the wrong guy. This is what I like:

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 07:43:52 PM
The WE Model 91A (the original 300B theater amp!) used a meter to monitor the 300B cathode current. It was used to determine when to replace a worn tube, hopefully before it blew out in the middle of a movie...

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 03:59:00 AM
Buy two of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-0-100MA-ROUND-Analog-Ammeter-Panel-AMP-Meter-Dia-90mm-direct-Connect/171215572719?epid=1775208116&hash=item27dd3e4eef:g:5SEAAOSw~bFWPWQl

Each will go between the black wire and the 1K resistor/100uF cap on each channel.  You might want/need to add a small cap across the meter, maybe 100uF/10V would do.

(But do this after the amp is built)

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:40:27 AM
Oh man... I like all of these.

Those Nixie tubes look really fun! I wonder, if I were to grab one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-VU-meter-driver-IN-13-nixie-tube-complete-All/182749683634?hash=item2a8cbadfb2:g:fqAAAOSwAuNW5xvN

(signal level 0.25V - 0.75V, power supply +12V, 0.5A), you wouldn't expect tapping into the power supply and the signal level to impact overall sound quality, right? (same with the 0-100mA ammeters?) Also, it shouldn't be too bad to tap into the power supply for that Nixie PCB to reach 12V, 0.5A, right?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:45:31 AM
Oh man... I like all of these.

Those Nixie tubes look really fun! I wonder, if I were to grab one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stereo-VU-meter-driver-IN-13-nixie-tube-complete-All/182749683634?hash=item2a8cbadfb2:g:fqAAAOSwAuNW5xvN

(signal level 0.25V - 0.75V, power supply +12V, 0.5A), you wouldn't expect tapping into the power supply and the signal level to impact overall sound quality, right? (same with the 0-100mA ammeters?) Also, it shouldn't be too bad to tap into the power supply for that Nixie PCB to reach 12V, 0.5A, right?

It only took three of us two years to get an IN-13 to work well, and it can still affect the sound quality in some situations. But, other than that, it should be a piece of cake.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Sp33ls

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 10:51:27 AM
The million dollar question....

Was it worth it? :)