eros or seduction

howardnair · 2694

Offline howardnair

on: September 28, 2010, 02:57:23 PM
ok -now!! all happy and getting happier  with a stereomour-i am using a preamp for phono--sooo my table is a linn with a ortofon black which has 5mv output--what i am reading is that the seduction is designed more for a higher output mm "with 5mv being the target point" and the eros for a lower mm less than 2.5mv--but i am also reading success with the eros as high as 6.8mv--which way do i point my stylus???? many thanks howie--

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:28 PM
Eros is definitely a better sounding preamp. And it definitely costs twice as much. :^)

Seriously, low gain has been an issue occasionally with the Seduction; I think Eros hits the middle of the road better. Eros can take up to a 10mV cartridge (IMHO) which covers pretty much all cartridges - the only time excess gain might be an issue is if you have a higher-output MC cartridge with a high-gain stepup transformer.

Paul Joppa

Offline Grainger49

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 12:33:45 AM
The Eros gives more body to the instruments, it extends both ends of the spectrum and, most important to me, it fleshes out the soundstage extending it further back and wider.

The Seduction is a very good phono stage.  It is a heck of a buy for the cash.  The Eros is trickle down technology from Bottlehead's multi-thousand dollar custom phono stage.

So if the Eros doesn't stretch your budget go for it.  It is just that simple.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:10:04 AM by Grainger49 »

Offline howardnair

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:38:58 AM
thank you grainger-thank you paul--next i will have to go through a selective reasoning process---before i place my order-- you know!! with proper selective reasoning one can justify just about anything!

---howie

Offline Hank Murrow

• Potter loving music and tubes....
    • Hank Murrow's World of Ceramics
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:24:32 AM
Grainger provides his usual fine assessment of both Seduction and Eros phonostages. One additional note that might be mentioned; the Eros also provides around 10 Db additional gain in case you need it for your cartridge. I have been using a
Bottlehead Customs Eros for several months now and it is sweet. If you decide on the Seduction, I have an un-built Seduction kit complete with Anticipation upgrade available at a good price.

Cheers, Hank