My Straight 8s

Rick Rigler · 2387

Offline Rick Rigler

on: April 21, 2018, 01:08:48 PM
Greetings Bottleheads,

Long time since I posted here; sometimes audio takes a back seat to other life events, although I still have a huge passion for higher-end audio. I kept the embers burning, and am really starting to take off again, with more vengeance than ever!

I feel a part of the early Bottlehead gang, as I built one of the original S.E.X. amps in Doc B’s class in 2006 (I believe was the year). At the same time I had ordered the Paramour twins and Foreplay III, which I assembled when I got back to Texas; was there on a work trip. Later came the Seduction, and I guess I topped out there. Was rather proud of my builds, with zero mistakes or issues over five kits, but kudos upon kudos for the Design and Production teams, including and especially the assembly manual! All of this gear is just phenomenal for the money. And what a blast it is to hear what you built.

But the main reason I am posting here today is regarding the Straight 8 pair I have and looking at letting go. It wouldn’t bother me a bit to hang on to them, but I have to thin out the stable, and the Straight 8 is not fitting my layout presently.

Pretty sure the cabinet was built by Doc’s cabinet builder at the time. It is a very nice cabinet, cherry I would say. They have a couple blemishes, but they also had a dusty warehouse life before even being completed, before I picked them up, still in kit form. The overall attractiveness of the cabinet takes away from the blemishes.

So I completed the assembly and wired in the 1st order crossover. They sounded wonderful driven by the original Spud Amp (S.E.X.), a beautiful circuit designed around a $5.00 old-school TV tube! But I wanted more so I got all the bits for the V3 crossover and built it. To me it seemed to tame the bass a little; smoother, not as punchy. Sadly I didn’t get to enjoy a lot of listening time with them after that. I hook them up occasionally and reminisce. They really are very capable speakers. They worked very well with a 1960 EL84 PP, and a Mc250 SS amp; both amps have 16 ohm taps, as are the Straight 8s.

That’s enough ramble…aware of Doc B’s guidelines regarding ads on this site, I reached out to him for his ok, because I really want to make them available to Bottleheads first; it’s sort of a cult thing, right? And he understood that and said yes. So if interested please PM me for more info, photos, etc., and again, please note Doc’s Forum Rules regarding ads.

These are located west of Houston, so local pickup is going to be the only option for now. I am making a trip to Hope, AR in May, if that will help anyone make a decision on them. I am still working on price, so we can talk all that through PM. Thanks for looking.

Rick

Horns Love Tubes!

Rick Rigler
Houston, TX

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:47:35 PM
Rick those are beautiful speakers!
If you make a trip to Columbus let me know!
I started at that same class in SF as you! It was an eye opener, educational and started my journey with high end audio and Bottlehead too! I remember there was a large contingent from Texas there!
Anyways keep enjoying the journey. Good luck selling those.

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 04:57:47 PM
I think those must be cabinets that were built by Rod Morris' (of Audio Asylum) brother. Sorry to say I don't remember his name. He was offering finished cabinets before we started selling the kit cabinets.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Rick Rigler

Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:16:47 PM
I'll give this just one bump, and a reminder that I am traveling to SW AR this weekend and attending the Klipsch Pilgrimage next weekend. Please pass along if you would.

Thanks again, Doc, for letting me post this.

Rick

Horns Love Tubes!

Rick Rigler
Houston, TX