What equipment do I need?

oguinn · 1731

Offline oguinn

on: May 25, 2018, 01:39:29 PM
I'm new here, so I apologize if this is the wrong board, or if this has been answered before. I'm also pretty new to audio equipment, so this might be really basic.

I'm looking to start building some equipment, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. My current setup is a U-Turn Orbit turntable, a U-Turn Pluto preamp, a Sony STRDH130 stereo receiver, a pair of Overnight Sensations speakers from Parts Express that I built myself, and a set of Sennheiser 6XX headphones.

I was looking into building the Crack headphone amp, and eventually adding the Speedball, which is pretty straightforward. My questions, though, are when I add an amp like the Reduction or Eros:
  • Would I still need my Sony receiver?
  • Would I still need the Pluto preamp?
  • Are there other pieces of kit that I'd need to consider?

Also, I assume the Crack would connect directly to the turntable and then to the headphones, correct? Or would I need a preamp before going to the headphone amp?

Thanks!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Chris65

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:29:03 PM
We all have to start somewhere ;D. Some of the confusion arises because of the terminology..
A basic hifi audio system is: Source - Preamp - Power Amplifier - Speakers

A Receiver like your Sony incorporates a source (radio tuner), preamp and power amplifier. Other sources can added via the inputs.
The source must be a line level source, such as CD/DVD etc for these inputs.

A turntable system, that is the cartridge, only outputs a very small signal & this has to be 'pre-amplified' to reach line level for input into a line level preamp. This is what your Pluto does & what the Reduction/Eros do as well.
These are Phono Preamps or Phono Stages (not be confused with Line Level Preamps). Their output is then fed to the line level Preamp which then drives the Power Amplifier.

The Crack Headphone Amp needs a line level input. Your Pluto or other Phono Stage is still needed to drive the Crack amp.
A Reduction or Eros would replace the Pluto phono stage only. You still a line level preamp & a power amp (your Sony Receiver) to drive speakers.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 04:53:31 PM
I'd add that if you'r using the Overnight Sensations as a desktop setup, the SEX amp would be a good choice to power both your speakers and your headphones.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 05:47:06 PM
Hugely, immensely helpful. Thank you so much for the advice.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 06:56:22 AM
I'd add that if you'r using the Overnight Sensations as a desktop setup, the SEX amp would be a good choice to power both your speakers and your headphones.

I've been thinking more about this. Is there a downside to going with the SEX instead of the Crack for headphones? I've heard a lot of good things about the Crack + Speedball so that was going to be my first foray into this community, but if the SEX can handle Sennheiser 650s as well as the Crack can AND it can drive speakers, maybe that's the way to go.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:48 AM
There is no downside to using the SEX for headphones instead of the Crack, other than the difference in entry price. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 12:13:48 PM
The Sex is a superb little amp I have been very happy with mine (I had a Crack prior). While the Crack maybe a little less expensive the Sex offers a noticeable step up the ladder performance wise. If you factor in a bit of mucking about tube rolling with the Crack the price difference evaporates quickly. 

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 04:10:08 AM
Awesome. Thanks everyone!

Jameson O'Guinn

-