Bottlehead Crack crackling/static sounds, please help!

unowndanger · 763

Offline unowndanger

Hi there. I was wondering if I could have some assistance with my BH Crack. I built it around December and every now and then I would get some crackling sounds. Usually, tapping the wooden case would work, but I want to see if I can fix the issue. I'm linking images of the build below, and I can provide any extra information I can.

I've gone through some threads and seen that others are checking resistance amongst other variables. I'd have no problem doing the same, just didn't wanna mess with anything I'm not 100% knowledgeable on. All parts are stock, nothing changed/modded, no speedball.

Thank you for your time!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:27:20 AM
There are many solder joints that need to be reflowed or have a little solder added.  You should also trim back all those leads that are sticking out.

A good example of a problem area is the center lug of the 9 pin socket.  The black wire that goes into there looks like it has absolutely no solder holding it there.

To better trim the wires, consider buying a set of side cutters that will let you get into those tight spots.  Here's a good example that isn't super costly:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Plato/170?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuxaxGVT3gSIgmbnclZjJnr9MSYMGh0b%2fw%3d

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline unowndanger

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:00:47 AM
Awesome thank you! Can you give me an example with those images of a joint that was poorly done and a joint that is well done, that way I have a reference of sorts? Thank you!

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 11:05:02 AM
Page 51.

Also page 36.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: July 02, 2018, 02:18:51 PM
A2 looks OK.  The center post of the 9 pin socket does not.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man