Foreplay in "passive" mode

Bribase · 2119

Offline Bribase

on: October 03, 2010, 03:46:01 AM

I've been using my Extended foreplay for about a year now and I still love the sound, the only tweak I've done so far is to swap out the attenuators for 10k Glasshouse Takmans.

My set up is for music right now but I'm planning on building a DIY projector and adding it to the stereo signal (If you're set up is good theres really no need for 5.1 surround). The problem is that I dont want to use up precious tube life while watching a movie, but i'm also too lazy to swap cables to a passive preamp. Is there a simple way of bypassing all of the active electronics in the foreplay and using the attenuators on their own? I'm only using one input and output on my foreplay right now.

Thanks!

B

Offline Grainger49

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:56:07 AM
You can take an additional right and left STP cable to a pair of your existing input RCA jacks from the selector switch.  (Remove the wire to the selector switch at the RCA jack)  Of course you terminate the ground and hot as such on each of the "Passive Outputs."  Ground the shield at one end only.

If you don't turn on your FP III you don't waste tube life. 

Here is the trick, it might add noise into the system.  It could come from the additional cable or from being attached to a surround amplifier.  That is easy to tell.  If you get noise unplug the cables to the 5.1 at the FP III.  If noise persists it is the cables.