Troubleshooting Quickie Resistance Checks [resolved]

oguinn · 1816

Offline oguinn

I completed the Quickie build and am on to the resistance checks. It seems like a lot of things on the B side aren't passing.

Terminal Strips
  • 1, 6: infinity
  • 2, 7: infinity
  • 3, 8: infinity
  • 4, 9: 1.07K, infinity

Rotary Switch
  • 1, 4: infinity
  • 2, 3, 5, 6: infinity
  • 7, 10: infinity
  • 8, 9, 11, 12: infinity, infinity, 1.07K, 1.07K

Volume Potentiometer
  • A-Side Terminals: 0
  • Center Terminals: 0
  • B-Side Terminals: infinity

Attached are some photos. I re-soldered the resistor and capacitor in 9, but that didn't make a difference. Let me know if there are other things I can post for you. I would really appreciate some help!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:39:54 AM by Caucasian Blackplate »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 11:11:19 AM
The 1.07K resistor between terminals 9 and 10 is not properly installed.

When you place a component on the terminal strips, bend the leads up against the terminal strip so that your solder will flow both in the hole that the lead passes through as well as up where the component lead is bent.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 12:08:53 PM
Thanks, Paul. I’ll try that when I get back home. I may need to get a couple replacement parts since I trimmed those leads already.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:15:46 PM
This issue is resolved. I re-soldered a few joints without any luck and then realized I was completely missing the black wire from 10L to the B-side output. Then I realized the pot reading wasn’t happening because the multimeter was looking for 200 ohms and the value was 100k ohms. After those things were cleared up the circuit passed its tests with flying colors.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:23:54 PM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 05:13:05 AM
One other quick question (I don't want to start a thread just for this).

My setup is currently U-Turn turntable > U-Turn Pluto phono pre > Quickie > Sony STRDH130 receiver (soon to be replaced by a SEX). Should I just run the Quickie at max volume and control listening volume at the Sony/SEX? Or should I control the volume at the Quickie step?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:53:03 AM
Quickie wide open and volume controlled at the receiver will probably give you the best signal to noise performance. But you can do it either way, choose what you like best.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 06:04:04 AM
Thanks, Doc!

Really impressed with the Quickie so far, by the way. Looking forward to listening this week, finishing the base, then installing the PJCCS soon.

Jameson O'Guinn

-