grounding

tipatina · 2257

Offline tipatina

on: August 01, 2018, 03:34:25 AM
I have a soft buzz heard only with ear to speaker in the un-upgraded smash (no difference with input selection and independent of volume control position) Voltage checks are within parameters,LEDs are lit, there is good sound when playing music. I read in one of the other threads about re-flowing the ground connections and I can easily do that but am unsure of all of the ground locations. I assume 6,7 and the ground lug near the power switch. Any others? Do I reflow just the connections to the ground lugs/terminals? 

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 08:14:20 AM
This sounds like a very low level noise that does not interfere with the desired signal. All electronics will have some level of noise, tube based circuits tend to have a little more. With careful circuit design and layout, it can be minimized, but never completely eliminated. If this was loud enough to interfere with your signal, or even just audible from the listening position, it might be a solvable problem. This is not that, it's just the level of noise that the preamp makes.

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline StevePL

Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:19 PM
You are not alone hearing the hum. My Smash has a very low level hum that is audible if you're close to a speaker when music isn't playing. It in no way effects the sound when music is playing. I have given up thinking about it. I used to fixate on it, now I just accept it and I'm really enjoying the sonic performance upgrade from the Quickie.

Crack Speedball, HD600, HD 25 300ohm.
Audirvana +, Schiit Modi Multibit, Smash-Smash Up Clarity MR, Rotel 956 bridged 2x Mono, Revel Performa F30.
Fiio X5ii, Quickie, Quicksand, Blumenstein Orca

Offline tipatina

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 02:04:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. Reassuring, the preamp sounds great, don't doubt the preamp design, just my build skills...

4krow

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:16:29 PM
 I own a tube amp that I really enjoy. So much so, that I decided to try it out as a headphone amp. Now, that is a situation where a tiny buzz became noticeable! Point is, in 'normal use' it was very quiet.