Would Kaiju play louder than a Stereomour I

borism · 1104

Offline borism

on: August 01, 2018, 06:39:33 AM
I have been enjoying my Stereomour I for a few years now. My speakers (Audiokinesis Jazz Modules) have ~ 92 dB/W sensitivity. My question is if the higher W rating of the Kaiju (using a transformer based passive pre) would result in having more headroom and being able to play louder with everything else in the system unchanged?
Also, would there be any qualitative changes to the sound like differences in bass, midrange or high frequencies?
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Boris

Boris

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 07:11:31 AM
With the Stereomour you can theoretically achieve about 98dB peaks with your speakers. With the Kaiju you will be able to play 101 dB peaks, which is more in line with what we recommend for setup that can play pretty much any kind of very dynamic music well in the typical listening room. Tonally the Kaiju will have a little more weight in the bass and lower mids, and the upper mids and treble will stay very similar to the Stereomour.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 02:56:29 PM
You may notice better treble response using your passive preamp with the Kaiju when compared to the Stereomour as well as what Doc B suggested.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline borism

Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 03:41:15 AM
Thanks Doc and Paul! Sounds like I have to wait for the next sale.

Boris