Staticky records

aragorn723 · 5587

Offline aragorn723

on: August 03, 2018, 03:53:54 PM
Hello,

I recently bought a few records that are very staticky and a anti-static brush doesn't seem to help.  What is a good way to get rid of the pops and crackles without breaking the bank or ruining the record?

Dave

Offline denti alligator

Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:32:22 AM
Zerostat is the only way I've found. But you'll need to pay $80-100.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:54:56 PM
I've heard of that.  Does it work really well?  I figured going into the record hobby would be expensive, sounds like I'll have to get one of those.  Saw one at Amazon for $72.  Do I need the anti-static sleeves too?

Dave

Offline denti alligator

Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 07:45:20 AM
Yes, it works perfectly. Well worth it. I have tried other things and this is the best.

Anti-static sleeves don't work. I get non-paper sleeves to avoid damage to the LP, but otherwise just make sure the record isn't charged with static when you store it away.

- Sam

Rega P3-24 (w/AT 150MLX) w/Groovetracer upgrades / Eros II / FLAC >J.River >DSD256 >Gustard X20 / Moreplay > Stereomour II / Klipsch Forte II w/Crites upgrades / C4S S.E.X. 2.0 +Nickel MQ Iron / Speedball Crack / Sennheiser HD600 w/Cardas cable

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 02:11:42 PM
In case anyone is interested, here is an update.  Bought a spin clean, and mofi anti-static record sleeves.  Did a massive cleaning of the entire record collection, then put them all in clean sleeves.  The results were very good.  I have several records which were once unplayable such as Linda Ronsradt's What's New album, and Vangelis' Chariots of Fire.  These sound fantastic now, and are my favorites.  Hopefully this will be helpful to someone looking for a budget cleaning solution.  The records came out shiny black too :)

Dave