Resistor question

glynnw · 6062

Offline glynnw

on: October 26, 2009, 07:05:59 AM
When building crossovers I occassionally need a value that is only available as an inexpensive resistor, and I would prefer to use something like the Mills resistors.  From a sonic standpoint, am I better off using 1 inexpensive resistor (like some of the Dayton resistors  from PartSEXpress) or combining a couple of Mills resistors to get the value I need?

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Online Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 07:17:28 AM
There shouldn't be any penalty in combining a couple of Mills resistors, and they will probably sound a little better than the sand cast ones. The Ohmite wirewounds sound nice too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 07:55:20 AM
Do be aware that some of the cheap sand cast resistors are actually wirewound in the smaller values, but metal oxide in the larger values. You have to get the data sheet to figure this out. The wirewound ones are not bad, but metal oxide has a bad reputation sonically.

Paul Joppa

Offline glynnw

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:53:24 AM
Thanks. I have some Mills on order and will combine 2 of them to get the value I want.

PC, J River software, opticaRendu, Schitt Ygg DAC,Tortuga Pre, Torta Radu tube buffer, Linear Tube Audio ZOTL10, Spatial Audio X5w/pair of GR Research dual 12" open baffle servo subwoofers tamed by DSpeaker Dual-Core DSP , Audience AU24 SE  spkr cable, handmade silver interconnects,

Offline Wardsweb

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 11:12:14 AM
Good advice all around. I've always liked Allen Bradley carbon comp resistors and was lucky enough to get a closing electronics repair shops entire inventory of resistors, caps, pots, switches, IC's, diodes, transistors, LEDs, knobs, etc... Let me know if you ever break one of the plastics keys on a Mini Moog, need a pinch roller for your Teac or need a lighted switch for a Tascam.