What headphones do you use?

ToneDeaf · 6107

Offline ToneDeaf

on: August 15, 2018, 10:50:24 AM
    I'm new to headphones. I was waiting for the Senn. HD820 to come out. Then I was going to get them and a mainline. But the Mainline came up on sale so I bought it, and then got a pair of Senn. HD280's untill the HD820 came out. Now, I am believe it or not, very impressed with the sound of the HD280's .
    There are, as expected, many contrary reviews coming out about the HD820's.
    I can't find any place that sells high end headphones anywhere in my area. I mean anywhere. So before I jump into anything sight unheard, I'd like some opinions on different headphones with the mainline. My first choice would be the Senn HD820, but there is the Audeze LCD-XC, the Mr. Speaker Ether Flow C, and the Fostex TH900 II. I hope I got them all correct. I know the mainline works great with the Senn. HD800, but I need a closed back.
     So lets have some opinions. On any phones, not just the ones mentioned. Thank you all very much.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 03:25:31 PM
What part of the world do you call home?  There may be a headphone meetup that you can attend to get a more general sense of what you like.  Headphone preferences do depend a little bit on what you listen to the most, but I don't think you can go wrong with the HD-820 or a used set of HD-800S.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Mordicai

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07:42 PM
I use Ether Flow  C's. An upgrade from my Senn 600. I'm very happy with this pairing of the Mainline, but headphones are all so different, that for this kind of money you really should try to attend a headphone meet or show.

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 06:10:11 PM
     I'm in Lancaster, Ca. That's about an hour in a half north east  of L.A.   I wish I had gone to Can Jam L.A. But it's a long drive and it was raining that weekend, so I didn't make it.

Offline maryc27182

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 07:43:45 AM
Audio Element in Pasadena has some of the manufacturers you mention (but not all.)

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Audio Element, though I did buy a turntable from them.

Mary

DIY 2-ways (TAD TD-2002, AE TD15M), Stereomour 45
Fostex TH-500RP, S.E.X. 2.1
Eros Phono

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:54:43 PM
Thank you Mary. I will check it out.

Offline adydula

Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 12:44:14 PM
I use Beyer T90, DT1350, T1's 2nd Gen and Senn 600's all work wonderfully with the Mainline...if your on a budget the senn 600 for $280+- on Amazon is a great buy until you can save up for Senn 800s etc..

Alex

Offline jtori

Reply #7 on: August 19, 2018, 01:53:09 AM
I'm interested in this info as well.  I've ordered a Mainline and would like to achieve the most synergistic pairing.  Here is a list of the cans I have on hand: HD600 (which I use with my Crack/Speedball), Audeze LCD2C, Grado GS2000e, Grado RS2e, Oppo PM-3.  I do wonder how the HD800S might sound, but can find little info about its use with the Mainline.

Joe.

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 04:13:10 AM
If you make it up to San Francisco, there’s a Sennheiser store where you can test most of their cans out. On their equipment, but still. I tried out the 820 there last week.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 02:41:09 PM
The 800's are great with the Mainline.  820's aren't as quiet as other closed backs though.  Still great but they are better at keeping outside noise out than inside music in.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 04:44:55 PM
Get yourself to Torrance. The Source AV has a large selection of headphones, including many high end models. I made the pilgrimage last weekend and I spent a few hours there listen to stuff, including the HD820. Personally, I though the 820 was POS. It sounded like the midrange was echoing inside the cans. Yuck. Really, I would buy HD820 for $24, let alone $2400

For closed, I use Ether C 1.1 Fostex TH900 (with some MrSpeakers doggie treats inserts), or when I have no good reason, DT770. My wife like the HD598c, which I thing sound good.

For open I use the Utopia, the PMx2 (v1), MassDrop HD6xx (unmodded) or the Koss ESP950.

98% of the time I use the Utopia. IF I didn't have the Utopia I would probably use the TH900, just for the fun factor. The HD6xx, however, is excellent.

At work I use a home made SennGrado.

All sound great with the Mainline, except of course the ESP950. If you need isolation, the TH900 isn't great. If you are just trying to avoid a little sound leakage, the TH900 might OK.

The Ether C is very good as well, but for some reason it doesn't get any head time. Hell, nothing gets head time next to the Utopia.

For my tastes, what I have is what I consider the best for me. I've tried every other TOTL headphone, including HiFiman, Senn, beyer, Abyss, Sony, and Grado.

I have very little head time with the ZMF headphones. I tend to think Zach's stuff is warm, and I don't lean that way. You might like ZMF, and he sells some closed cans (I think). Also, if you like warm, try the TOTL Sony.

This space for rent

Offline jjvornov

Reply #11 on: August 31, 2018, 03:14:31 AM
I'm interested in this info as well.  I've ordered a Mainline and would like to achieve the most synergistic pairing.  Here is a list of the cans I have on hand: HD600 (which I use with my Crack/Speedball), Audeze LCD2C, Grado GS2000e, Grado RS2e, Oppo PM-3.  I do wonder how the HD800S might sound, but can find little info about its use with the Mainline.

Joe.

I recently added a Mainline to my setup. I've had a Crack with Speedball for a few years. I have a pretty big collection of headphones from the Massdrop Senheisser 6XX and Sennheiser 600 which I bought for the Crack. I'm a long time Grado fan and I tried the planar magnetic world with the Mr Speakers Aeon Flow.

I can't say that other than the Sennheiser / Crack synergy which is all down to impedance, I don't think there's  the same kind synergy with the Mainline, just differences in . Headphones are big on personality and much easier to switch out than speakers. So I think the advice here is very good. First listen to a variety of headphones, then try them out with a particular amp.

The Mainline is not the highest power headphone amp out there, so I tend to like my Grados or the Sennheisers when going louder, but the Aeons are incredible for listening really deeply in a mix at more moderate levels.

Offline AllanMarcus

• Mainlining my way to bliss
    • My DIY Site
Reply #12 on: August 31, 2018, 04:50:39 AM
My mainline will power the Ether C to levels too high to listen to. Might not power the HE-6, but should do fine with anything else.

This space for rent

Offline jtori

Reply #13 on: August 31, 2018, 09:03:14 AM
@jjvornov, thank you for your insights; very helpful.  Like you, I really like the way the Sennheiser -- HD600s in my case -- sound with the Crack/Speedball.  I'd like to bypass as much trial and error as possible and arrive at an end-game solution with the Mainline, if possible.  I'm intrigued by the HD800S.  Without occasion to audition a variety of phones, other than what I have on hand, it's difficult to know whether this might be a good match.  Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Joe.

Offline deserat

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 08:17:44 PM
My Mainline and my HD800 are exclusive to each other now. I have the HD600 - not sure why they just sit in a box. I also have the Ether C Flow. I see a few people in the thread say the later  sounds good with the Mainline but it's miles away from the HD800 with this amp. ( I actually sat or a few hours comparing them the other night ).  In my opinion the pairing doesn't allow either the Ether C Flow or the Mainline to shine to their fullest. If I had to give up the HD800 I'd bring the HD600's out of hibernation.  Not sure why this is ...