Smashup finished

tipatina · 2466

Offline tipatina

on: September 02, 2018, 01:35:55 PM
Powered on, no smoke, all LEDs lit up, voltages checked out.
Great sound, more channel separation and detail than stock.
Slight buzz at speaker level similar to but slightly louder than stock.  Unresponsive to volume control, similar on each side, not audible during music. Suppose this is within expectations, will move cords and other components around to try to reduce it. Any other ideas?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 03:38:24 PM by tipatina »

Offline tipatina

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 03:43:46 PM
After listening for an hour Im really impressed. This modest little system is rivaling my "big" much higher $ system. Can't tear myself away to watch the football game!
I'm going all in with an order for the power cord kit and a badge. I did the cabinet with stain and wasn't happy so re-sanded and did some wood dye. May try to rout a little recess for the badge and do something with the edges.
Great product!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 04:44:00 PM
There are quite a few resistor leads sticking up that need to be trimmed back.  Without knowing the sensitivity of your speakers and gain of your power amp, it's hard to say whether the noise that you're hearing is totally normal or abnormal.  The good thing is that all your DC voltages are where they are supposed to be.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tipatina

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 05:16:48 PM
Thanks, will clean things up. Left em a little long in case I found wiring errors and ended up needing  to move them.

Offline tipatina

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 06:20:32 PM
Hello, I am using Pass ACA monos with the following specs:14 dB of voltage gain and 5 watts of output. The input impedance is 10 Kohm, and the damping factor is about 3. I was using using Klipsch KG4, sensitivity 94  but switched to  Klipsch Chorus2 sensitivity 101. The soft buzz is a little louder but doesn't detract from music during listening. I made some shorting plugs which don't reduce it. I did go in and trim all resistor leads.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 04:17:40 AM
With 101dB sensitive speakers, you could try some Harrison Labs inline attenuators at the input of the amps.  -6dB would probably be enough.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man