Muddled sound after accidentally leaving it on

SammyJ · 1471

Offline SammyJ

on: September 03, 2018, 12:43:34 PM
So stupid, sleep deprived me, left on the reduction for about a week.  Today, after returning from vacation, I went to listen to some Miles and, without even thinking about it, flipped the switch (thought I was turning it "on", but really turned it "off". After a few minutes of scratching my head, trying to figure out I wasn't hearing any trumpets and sax, I realized it was left on originally. When I actually turned it on, the sound was extremely muddled and muffled, I'd say playing about about 60% of normal volume and lacking separation and clarity in the details. Made me sad.

So, what have I done? Any thoughts? I've turned it off, will wait a few hours for the tubes to cool, but I'm really hoping there's no real damage here.

Anyone ever been in the same boat?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:51:53 PM
There is no problem with leaving it on for a week. Try pulling and replacing the tubes. If that does not solve the issue, check all of the voltages.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:57:23 PM
...and just in case, make sure the cartridge needle does not have a dust bunny!

Paul Joppa

Offline SammyJ

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 03:27:13 AM
Thanks Paul and Doc! I gave it another listen this morning after a rest and it sounded better, but still a bit muddled. I'll take Doc's advice and grab some new tubes and give it a shot, before I remeasure voltages.

Recleaned the stylus as well.

Do you guys have any recs on tubes that are less than $100/pair, that sound especially nice with this kit?

Cheers,

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 04:50:35 AM
Something like this should work nicely:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULLARD-ECC88-6DJ8-BVA-BALANCED-MATCHED-PAIR-O-GETTER-PREAMP-VACUUM-TUBES/332782897559?epid=141017926&hash=item4d7b680997:g:eIwAAOSwXEdaeH2u:sc:USPSPriority!98058!US!-1

You're going to need to leave your Reduction on for a couple of years without turning it off to wear out the 6922s.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline SammyJ

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:48:53 AM
Thanks again guys!