Preliminary Strike questions

ALL212 · 3012

Offline ALL212

on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:38 AM
I believe I'll be picking up a Revox A77 this weekend.  It's been checked out for basic functions and should be working.  This will be my reintroduction to tape after 20 years or so of no participation.  My last rig was an Akai Gx-635D that eventually began to fail and I sold it.

My plan is to insure it works as is and then put the Eros tape pre on it.  Anyone see issues with this plan? 

Plan addendum.  I see that Bottlehead is putting out a V2 Eros phono pre.  Will the tape pre also be brought out to V2?

Can the Eros phono be used as a tape pre?  If not, is there a mod to do that?  I'd use my existing phono pre (modded if possible) for the tape unit and then build the new phono pre for use with the TT.

I know...many questions but I'm pretty pumped about hitting tape again!

Aaron

Aaron Luebke

Offline fullheadofnothing

• Global Moderator
  • A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man
Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 09:11:24 AM

Plan addendum.  I see that Bottlehead is putting out a V2 Eros phono pre.  Will the tape pre also be brought out to V2?

Eventually. No timetable set. Definitely in the multiple months, if not closer to a year. The current version of the tape pre is still available and will be until the replacement is ready. The phono is not released, and wasn't supposed to be announced until I had time to finish up all the pre-release work that still needs to be done.

Can the Eros phono be used as a tape pre? 
No.

If not, is there a mod to do that? 

No.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 09:16:59 AM by fullheadofnothing »

Joshua Harris

I Write the Manuals That Make The Whole World Sing
Kit Packer Emeritus

Offline ALL212

Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:12:42 AM
Wow!  Thanks for the quick answers!

Aaron Luebke