Stereomour II 45 Conversion - Anyone Do It Yet?

Sugar Man · 21219

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:30 AM
Ah, that changes things a little then.  I would probably just remove the resistors added on the 4 pin socket during the DCF upgrade and then let us know what DC voltage you have after you've done that. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 08:52:00 AM
Many thanks PB - So just so I have this, I am to:

(1) remove the four 0.13 ohm resistors to cathode pins 1 and 4 added during the DCF upgrade;

(2) leave the 0.15 ohm resistors (for now) on cathode pins 1 and 4;

(3) take DC voltage measurements to determine what R value replaces the 0.15s.

Is that right?

Many thanks,

Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 09:07:23 AM
Yes, and don't be too annoyed if I come back and suggest 3 different resistor values to buy, even with your measurements in hand. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 09:14:16 AM
 Isn't the point of the 45b  is that it can be run at a significantly higher operating point than a standard 45 looks 420v at 53ma max.  This is close to 2A3  maybe you could try adjusting the cathode resistor might be all you need to start ...John

John Scanlon

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 10:03:54 AM
We have been developing a 3.5 watt 45 tube too.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:03 PM
This is close to 2A3  maybe you could try adjusting the cathode resistor might be all you need to start ...John
He'd also have to adjust the filaments a bit too because of the lower current consumption. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 12:44:35 PM
We have been developing a 3.5 watt 45 tube too.

Yeah, that was a common response to the 45B on a lot of threads: the reinvention of the 2A3!  Having not even heard a 45 tube, I am taking a flyer with the 45B. We'll see. Hoping for some of the 45 magic I've read so much about.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 12:58:12 PM
My take on this is that if you want to hear a 45, buy an old school RCA 45. If you want to hear a 45B, buy a 45B. And understand that they have been made for different conditions and will most likely sound different because of that. We went through this with all the new production tubes that came out with 300B in their designation back in the late 90s and early 2000s. Most sounded very good but all sounded different, particularly the superhero versions.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Deke609

Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 01:04:27 PM
Isn't the point of the 45b  is that it can be run at a significantly higher operating point than a standard 45 looks 420v at 53ma max.  This is close to 2A3  maybe you could try adjusting the cathode resistor might be all you need to start ...John

He'd also have to adjust the filaments a bit too because of the lower current consumption. 

Are you guys suggesting that there might be a way of operating the 45B for more than 2Wpc in the Stereomour?  I had assumed from PB's posts (quite possibly erroneously) that getting more than 2W from the 45B requires a higher voltage/current combo than the SII iron can provide.

EML provides a number of suggested operating points for the 45B. For 2W output: 275V and 36mA. The next higher suggested operating point is 3.1W via 384V and 41mA, which according to the website is one of the better performing operating points.  I've not found a published curve for the 45B, so I have no idea if there are good operating points between 2 and 3.1 watts.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:08:59 PM by Deke609 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 01:23:29 PM
Are you guys suggesting that there might be a way of operating the 45B for more than 2Wpc in the Stereomour?
Yes, but you were also very interested in using the full 40H from the plate choke, which is not possible when operating under the 2A3 conditions.

A matched pair of old stock #45 tubes can generally be bought on eBay for well under $100.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 01:42:23 PM
Yes, but you were also very interested in using the full 40H from the plate choke, which is not possible when operating under the 2A3 conditions.

A matched pair of old stock #45 tubes can generally be bought on eBay for well under $100.

Thanks PB. Yes, that's true - I am interested in hearing more low-end, which I take it requires switching from 20H to 40H to get the added bandwith. But I would also be interested in hearing the 45B's with more than 2Wpc just to keep some headroom. If the 3.1W operating point is an easier modification, could you help me with that to start?  And then after a month or more, I could move on the mod outlined in this thread?

many thanks,

Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:09 PM
PJ would have to comment on how much plate current the choke will take before saturating.  Even the 3.1W operating point may push the entire winding a little too far.  Also, going from 2W to 3.1W isn't quite a 2dB increase in level, so not exactly earth shattering.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #57 on: January 11, 2019, 05:10:08 AM
... going from 2W to 3.1W isn't quite a 2dB increase in level, so not exactly earth shattering.

Thanks PB. Yeah, not a ton of extra headroom, but every little bit helps.  I think a 45B amp at 3.1W would make for a fair comparison with a 2A3 amp at 3.5 - I won't get the bass extension, but the 45B is supposed to have a very nice midrange, and I can listen for that and not need to factor in differences in headroom between the 2A3 and the 45B.  I have in mind 3 different comparisons:

(1) 45B/3.1W vs. 2A3/3.5W - roughly equal headroom

(2) 45B/2W vs. 2A3/3.5W - for whether I like/want the added bandwidth - I may pick up some regular 45s for this as well.

(3) one 2A3/3.5W amp vs. bridged 2A3/7W two-amp combo - for benefits of 3dB of added headroom over my existing single 2A3 amp

Based on the above experiments, I can decide on which configuration/compromise suits me best: bridged pair of 45Bs @ 6.2W (more headroom) or @ 4W (greater bandwidth), or a bridged pair of 2A3s @ 7W.  If greater bandwidth wins the day, I may even consider parting with my LCD4s and looking for a used pair of the LCD4z.  Man, the LCD4s like a lot of juice.  Example: vol. pot settings listening to Rush's Tom Sawyer at the perceived same loudish volume level: LCD4 @ -6dB vs. Focal Elex @ -24dB.  And that's with the BeePree fully open. at -9db. With the BeePre fully open, I turn the SII down to -18dB on the LCD4s, but I hear what sounds to me like a bit of distortion or auditory halo around notes (which works quite well with the bloozy rock I often listen to)

I should clarify again, for others that who might read this, that I am not trying to solve a perceived performance problem. My BeePre/Stereomour II combo is absolutely killer with my LCD4s. IMHO, anyone with headphones that are hard or moderately difficult to drive should consider the SII w/ the DC Filament upgrade (but I recommend getting the other 2 as well - the Shunt Regulation upgrade is particularly amazing).

cheers,

Derek
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:48:48 PM by Deke609 »

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 10:00:28 AM
PJ would have to comment on how much plate current the choke will take before saturating.  Even the 3.1W operating point may push the entire winding a little too far.  Also, going from 2W to 3.1W isn't quite a 2dB increase in level, so not exactly earth shattering.
My measurements indicate 45mA as the limit for the two chokes I measured. I have been rating the PC-3 as 40mADC (full winding), which is a little conservative and allows for some variation in manfacturing.

Using the 45B, you could probably not change the high-voltage power supply - just make the other changes. You might see 310v or 320v plate to cathode, rather than 275v. With the 1600 ohm cathode resistance, I estimate 41mA would be drawn, and you might get 2.6 watts output. Plate dissipation about 13 watts - don't try this with a standard 45!

For a little perspective, I note that the EML operating points are higher voltage without much higher current; consequently they are optimized for much higher impedance output transformers (6500 or 9200 ohms, vs. 4000 for Stereomour). While I agree this is a good idea, it is not usually done with the standard 45, which is limited to 275v maximum plate to cathode.

Paul Joppa

Deke609

Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 01:21:04 PM
Many thanks PJ.

So initial steps for the 2W+ conversion for EML 45B tubes are (please correct me if I'm wrong):

(1) Replace the 3K cathode bias resistors in parallel with the 2Ks with 8.2Ks to get 1.6K combined;

(2) Leave the 130R resistors in the power supply alone.

(3) Remove the 0.13 ohm resistors that are in parallel with 0.15 ohm heater resistors.

(4) Connect red wire of plate chokes in place of black wire - do I simply insulate the exposed end of the black wire and leave it disconnected?

(5) Swap in 5uF or so 630V parafeed caps.

(6) Measure DC heater voltages and report back for tweaking the heater resistor values.