Combo Quickie and Quicksand

oguinn · 2430

Offline oguinn

on: October 19, 2018, 04:29:57 AM
If I wanted to buy a Hammond chassis and situate the plates for a Quickie with PJCCS and a Quicksand next to one another, then hardwire the Quickie’s output into the Quicksand’s input, how would I go about doing that? Has anyone done something similar?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:06:34 PM
I thought about running longer black wires that would typically connect to the outputs on the Quickie and instead running them to the A-G solder pads on the Quicksand board, but where I get confused is how to wire the input and rest of the resistors and the ground buss found on the Quickie to the right spots on the Quicksand.

Is this just a bad idea and I should stick with a short interconnect instead?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 02:06:45 PM
The acrylic plates will really want to be supported around their entire perimeters if possible.  You could use each plate as a template and just drill the hole patterns into the top of a Hammond box (the aluminum ones are much easier to drill than steel). 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 04:10:07 PM
That makes sense. I might just build a wood box with an internal support underneath in the middle.

Two questions: if I bought a quicksand and quickie together, would the acrylic plate colors match? And would it make more sense to just build them as designed and run an interconnect between them than to hardwire them together?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 06:07:07 PM
I could rationalize both connecting them and just using the interconnect.  If you end up drilling out your own bigger panel, you could leave out the holes for the Quicksand RCA jacks, then wire the Quickie output right to the PC board pad where the 1uF caps are (leaving off the 1uF caps). 

It's always nice to have interconnects though, and if you went the route of wiring them together, you'd forfeit both the ability to use the Q-sand by itself and the Quickie by itself, which seems a bit limiting.

Generally a Quicke and a Quicksand ordered together will get the same color plates if possible, but there aren't a whole ton of Quicksands left.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 04:26:22 AM
I'm currently considering snatching up one of the remaining Quicksands and a new Quickie with a 10" by 12" base, then gluing in a quarter inch panel that runs the length of the box in between the two plates to support it. I think your point about forfeiting the ability to use them apart is compelling.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline megabigeye

Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 04:37:43 AM
I've also been thinking about doing something similar to this.

Couldn't you also put a 3p2t switch on the output of the Quickie, and then have one of the outputs of the switch go to the Quicksand and the other go to the RCA jacks?

Using the attached picture, I think it'd look something like:
Row 1 = Left
Row 2 = Ground
Row 3 = Right
Column A = Output to RCA
Column B = Input
Column C = Output to Quicksand

I think you would:
1. a)  Detach 2.2µF output caps and 475KΩ resistors from left and right RCAs;
1. b) black ground wire from pot to right RCA -- detach from right RCA;
1. c) wire Quickie's left and right 2.2µF output caps directly to 1B and 3B, respectively; black ground out from pot goes to 2B;
1. d) put one 475KΩ resistior between 1B and 2B, put the other between 3B and 2B on 3p2t switch
1. e) wire 1A, 3A to center pin of left and right RCAs respectively
1. f) wire 2A to ground tab of right RCA
1. g) wire 1C, 2C, 3C to left, ground, and right, respectively, on Quicksand board.
OR
2. a) Detach 2.2µF caps from RCAs, keep 475KΩ resistors in place;
2. b) same as above;
2. c) same as above;
2. d) another set of 475KΩ resistors go between 1C, 2C, and 3C, 2C;
2. e) same as above;
2. f) same as above;
2. g) same as above.

As I see it, option 1 doesn't require any additional resistors, but might be harder to wire; option 2 requires an extra set of resistors, but might be easier to wire.

Is this correct???????

Ken

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 05:00:46 AM
Couldn't you also put a 3p2t switch on the output of the Quickie, and then have one of the outputs of the switch go to the Quicksand and the other go to the RCA jacks?
It would be far simpler to wire the output jacks of the Quickie to a DPST switch, then from that switch to the Quicksand.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline megabigeye

Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:16:52 AM
Oh right.  That would be a lot easier.  :P  That would keep the RCA jacks always active, no?
Wouldn't you want a 3pst, though?  Left, right, and ground?

Thanks!

Also, I don't mean to be highjacking the thread.  I'm hoping this might help the OP, too.

Ken

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 05:42:35 AM
Yes, the idea is to switch out the load that the Quicksand presents when you aren't using it.  It is not necessary to switch out the ground.

Threadjacking usually involves changing the topic, and we are still well on topic (for now).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 06:36:32 AM
As the OP, I hereby bless this discussion as "on topic".

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline megabigeye

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:05 AM
Well, then I'm glad I'm not guilty of threadjacking.  I was just worried that I was making the thread about my own ideas and questions, rather than oguinn's.
#blessed

What do you do with A-G of the Quicksand, if not switch it with the Quickie's ground?  Just tie it in directly to Quickie without the switch?

Thanks again for the fast responses.

Ken

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:49 AM
What do you do with A-G of the Quicksand, if not switch it with the Quickie's ground?  Just tie it in directly to Quickie without the switch?
Yes, just connect it to the Quickie's ground buss.

Paul "PB" Birkeland