Hinging Mainline Chassis Plate for Easy Biasing

jtori · 878

Offline jtori

on: October 20, 2018, 11:22:14 AM
Has anyone tried hinging the Mainline chassis plate to enable easier biasing?  I'm contemplating mounting some sort of self-supporting hinge toward the rear and inside the base so that the chassis may be raised from the front and remain upright at whatever angle I choose, thus allowing easy access to the trim pots.

Interested in other forum members' experience.

Thanks,

Joe.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 02:27:03 AM by jtori »

Offline caffeinator

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 04:35:33 PM
Hi Joe,

I've built a lot of Bottlehead kits and have always just left the top plate free.  I've even provisioned a few kits for top plate attachments and ended up not using them.

I just invert the top if I need to access the components.  I think a lot of other users follow the same approach. Adjustments aren't typically so frequent as to necessitate something more 'real time.'

That being said, if one were to hinge the top, I'd suggest using simple hinges and some sort of prop rod or other temporary support.

David

Offline jtori

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:47:56 AM
Hi Joe,

I've built a lot of Bottlehead kits and have always just left the top plate free.  I've even provisioned a few kits for top plate attachments and ended up not using them.

I just invert the top if I need to access the components.  I think a lot of other users follow the same approach. Adjustments aren't typically so frequent as to necessitate something more 'real time.'

That being said, if one were to hinge the top, I'd suggest using simple hinges and some sort of prop rod or other temporary support.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for the insights on frequency of adjustment.  Having just completed the Mainline, I wasn't sure how often I'd need to be in there.  I had a Cary 300sei that offered access from the top side.  Very convenient.

Best,

Joe.

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 10:53:39 AM
I just checked my bias voltages and found they were off by less than 500mV. This was after about 7 months of regular usage. I remembered after the first 2-3 months, the voltages drifted by 3-4V. So it looks like over time the components "settle".

Raymond P.

Offline jtori

Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 12:22:41 PM
I just checked my bias voltages and found they were off by less than 500mV. This was after about 7 months of regular usage. I remembered after the first 2-3 months, the voltages drifted by 3-4V. So it looks like over time the components "settle".

Good to know.  Thanks, Raymond.

Joe.