Getting back into RTR tape

Mr. Ron · 4358

Offline Mr. Ron

on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:48 AM
Greetings! I came across your forum and am getting back into RTR tape. I have a Teac 3300 that I bought new around the mid 70's. I really haven't used it all that much. It has been sitting in my closet for the past 15 years. The last time I used it, it was working fine, but after sitting unused for so long, I would like to know what I need to do to get it up and running. It was my understanding way back, that the heads on the 3300 were not the best. If that is the case, can I get new heads or upgrade to better heads? I was also wondering if the 3300 can be upgraded to run at 15 ips instead of the present 7-1/2 and 3-3/4 ips. Does this sound like an impossible upgrade? I plan on checking it over and lubricating if needed. I saw a 3300 for sale on Craigs list for $100. The seller claims it is in working condition. I'm thinking of buying it for a 2nd unit, or as a spare. The Teac is no Studer, but can it be upgraded to a competitive level?

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 12:42:24 PM
I don't know if the 3300 can be modified to play 15ips or not. Since it is limited to 1/4 track tape that may not be a deal breaker, as most of the 15 ips tapes you will come across will be 2 track anyway. The 3300SX-2T version had both of those features.

All that said I usually recommend an Otari MX-5050 BII-2 or BIII as the best bang for the buck these days.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.