Legacy Repair Gallery/Blog

Paul Birkeland · 14543

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
on: November 13, 2018, 07:28:51 AM
We still offer repair services on anything we have ever sold! 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 07:31:23 AM
This was a pair of Paraglows I received for repair that got the special treatment by the shipping company.  The most sensible course of action turned out to be having new top plates cut out of thicker material in a physically larger size.  These were powder coated in textured black powder and the extra space allowed me to spread out the build components a little bit. 

All capacitors and most of the resistors were replaced during the rebuild.  I will do my best to maintain an inventory of these new chassis plates as undoubtedly there are other Paraglows out there that have suffered a bit while traveling. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:35:22 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:44:05 AM
Since this project is technically built from Paramount parts, I suppose it belongs here. 

I was approached and asked if it would be possible to build a parallel feed 2A3 monoblock where the output transformer could be changed out easily.  This morphed into monoblocks with polypropylene power supply/cathode bypass caps, then naturally shunt regulated 2A3 amps.  Leftover Paramount parts were used, and the TFA-2004JR transformers can be unplugged and unscrewed from the top side of the chassis (with the amp off of course) to facilitate iron rolling. 

The chassis height was increased to accommodate some enormous Clarity Cap  parallel feed capacitors, and they were even given their own wood stretchers to attach to!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 07:45:58 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:13 AM
This is one of a pair of Paramour I amplifiers that came to me with blown Hammond power transformers.  Although our replacement PT-2 power transformer is no longer in production, our PT-10 power transformer has the perfect high voltage winding and a low voltage winding that is happy heating a 2A3 provided a DC supply is used.  Along with new power transformers, I replaced all the power supply capacitors. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Karl5150

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:49:10 AM
Having only been onboard since the introduction of the Reduction, I really like seeing the photos of older BH products.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:37:31 AM
I took this pair of Paraglows in for repair/rebuild recently.  I like seeing our older amps in this condition, as it means the owner has been using them nearly daily for the better part of 20 years.  This pair had tons of bulging capacitors and cooked resistors, so a complete rebuild was in order.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 07:40:17 AM
Here they are all redone with everything spread out. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 02:38:48 PM
Wow, nice work...John

John Scanlon

Offline tsingle999

• We are all here because we are not all there.
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 05:27:34 PM
It is fun to see your wok Paul! Some great rebuilds! I am familiar with your rebuilds as you have done a couple for me! The SR2A3's are amazing!!! Thanks

SGS iTransporter with Qobuz & Roon to Optical Rendu to BH DAC (Battery) / Wavelegth Cosecant to BeePre to 300b(ehemoths) to Jagers.
Bottlehead Stat headphone amp with Wavelength Brick DAC

Offline JamieMcC

Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:46 PM
What a difference nice work  :)

Shoot for the moon if you miss you will still be amongst the stars!

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 05:54:21 AM
Enjoy seeing the befores and afters.

Raymond P.

Offline Bonzo

• My name is Marco, best known as Bonzo
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 07:06:50 AM
Enjoy seeing the befores and afters.

Me too! It's one of the most interesting thread of the forum, so full of ideas...
Please, keep on posting Paul!

Bisogna avere orecchio!

4krow

Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 11:01:01 AM
 Paul,

I have a small project that will likely not be completed soon enough, so I am asking you assistance. It is a basic Quickie kit, a PJCCS, and a FIX all combined within one chassis. I have gotten as far as making the Q work, yet, the PJCCS needs your help, as well as the Fix in the final product. Here is a shot in case you are interested.
 My attention has been side lined for a SS amp project, so this needs attention in the meantime.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 05:21:21 PM
I often find that one of the tougher things to do is to work on partially completed custom pieces.  How much space is there inside your preamp?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

4krow

Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 05:48:05 PM
Paul,

I completely agree. Let me get some photos together for you. What helps is that the chassis can be disassembled to the point where it is pretty accessible. The Fix portion is a bit tight being in there though, so it might end up unused.

Greg