Capcitors and tube question

Alby0521 · 2064

Offline Alby0521

on: December 16, 2018, 08:20:02 PM
Hi

I have 2 different questions:

- is there any suggestion or issue in using 300B-Z shuguang Black treasures on the Beepre? I can’t find the specs of the tubes anywhere and I’d like to make sure they are ok before using them.

- what are the main capacitors where an upgrade makes the biggest difference?

Thanks in advance.

AB

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 04:37:15 AM
I can't find the specs of the 300B-Z anywhere either.  If it's a 300B, it will work just fine though. 

The BeePre uses a pair of 10uF/250V coupling caps that are popular to swap out.  If you plan to use the balanced output, you'll want two pairs.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Alby0521

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:41:22 AM
Hi Paul

Thanks for the info. I got the pair of new 300B-Z and indeed they work perfectly. Actually what a nice improvement on the stock.

I’m looking for upgrading now the 2 10uf caps. I’m. It using the balanced input so a pair is fine.
Anybody that can recommend brands and models? I was looking into Mundorf supreme silver/oil but then I read that they should not be put in warm situation as they will loose their values.

Any comments or advices?

Thanks again I. Advance.

Best

AB

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 05:49:48 AM
I'd look more for speaker crossover caps that carry a 200V or 250V rating.  There's a low voltage Auricap available, a Clarity PX, Multicap PPFXS, DynamiCap TRT, or Mundorf MKP Classic.

These caps are more reasonably sized and not overly expensive.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Alby0521

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 05:53:03 AM
Thanks for that!

Any experience with the Mundorf supreme (the classic one, no oil)?

Best

AB

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 06:46:06 AM
Any experience with the Mundorf supreme (the classic one, no oil)?
Yes, you design a layout and build your amp around a part like that rather than adding it to something already built.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I got the pair of new 300B-Z and indeed they work perfectly. Actually what a nice improvement on the stock.

Could you please offer more detail on how the 300B-Z's improve on the stock tubes? TIA.

Raymond P.

Offline oltmb

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 03:12:34 AM
Hi,

I also have the 300B-Z. They make the sound very open and add clarity to the music. I sold the stock tubes and am now using JJ's or the 300B-Z. These however have the tendency to start humming unexpectedly, but then it goes away after some time. When it get's too annoying I replace them by the JJ's. The glass of these tubes are fitted in a rubber compound and never cause any issues. The sound however is less open.

Main System:
Sonus Faber Olympica III
McIntosh MA7900
iFi iUSB 3.0
Tara Labs Cables
Macbook Pro/Audirvana/Dirac
ISOL-8 Wave Power Conditioner

Second System:
Beepre
NAIM NAP100
Focal Aria 900
Chord 2Qute DAC

Offline Alby0521

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 06:55:30 AM

Could you please offer more detail on how the 300B-Z's improve on the stock tubes? TIA.

Hi Raymond

What I found with the 300b-z compared with the stock hh is that the new tubes are considerably more quiet, add a lot of ‘’matter’’ and density to the midrange and give a tighter and more realistic bass.
I’m very happy with the result.

I now will upgrade the caps and probably add the volume control kit. I’ll make sure I’ll comment here.

Best

AB

Offline aroide

Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 08:15:03 AM
I switched from stock to the PSvane 300b-TII (grey bottle) and it was a significant difference in detail, and sweetness.  These tubes were fairly neutral.   Now I have the Sophia Electric Royal Princess 300Bs which are the new love of my life.  Expensive, but wow.... just wow.

For caps, I went all out to a detailed and sweetly neutral cap in the Mundorf Supreme silver/gold/oil.  That was also a significant difference from stock. At first, tried the recommended ClarityCap MR which was also a nice change for not much $$.

Mac mini running Roon->
Mytek Brooklyn DAC+->
Darwin Truth RCA IC->
BeePre (BeeQuiet,  Mundorf Ag/Au/Oil, Sophia Royal Princess 300B)->
Audioquest Colorado->
Rogue Audio Atlas Magnum amp (Psvane small signal tubes, KT150s)->
Audioquest Gibraltar-speaker cables>
Magnepan 1.7 & REL T-5