Quickie hum questions

aragorn723 · 1899

Offline aragorn723

on: December 22, 2018, 02:48:48 AM
Been working on my Quickie to squeeze the last bits of hum out of the system.  There are two things i've noticed:

1)  When I touch one of the interconnects from my dac to the Quickie (on the Quickie side) hum in the system is significantly decreased.  Does that mean there is something wrong with the interconnect?

2)  When the phono preamp is turned on the level of hum increases.  Do I need a ground wire from the Quickie to the phono preamp?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 07:05:52 AM
What's in the rest of your system?  Which phono preamp do you have?  Does it have a 3 wire cord?  What's the DC resistance between the RCA jack shell on the phono preamp and the phono preamp chassis?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 03:09:58 PM
Here's the other components:

Inter-m R500 amplifier
Audioengine D1 dac
Sony TA-1055 Integrated Amp (using as Phono preamp-output of headphone amp feeds the Quickie)
Uturn Orbit Turntable
Definitive Technology BP6B Speakers

The Sony doesn't have a 3 wire cord, how do I measure dc resistance?  Got a multimeter, is it just a regular measurement on the ohms scale?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 06:21:51 PM
Your amplifier chassis is grounded.  Connect a wire to one of the screws of the amp and start touching the chassis of other pieces of equipment in your system until the noise dies down.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 12:55:10 AM
Hi Paul, kind of like dissipating static? :)  Happy holidays!

Dave